Server Maintenance This Week. ×

copyright issues

This topic is 4393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know of a filemaker database that has a drop down field with values "hot" "warm" "cold"?

Infact, any documentation about Filemaker and copyright / intellectual property could be really helpful...

I have someone trying to sue me for use of the english language!

Any help hugely appreciated!

Does this do it for you?

Link to see a Database Pros Open Source file that uses Hot, Warm, Cold, in it's interface.

If it doesn't, then let us know.

Lee

Edited by Guest

Is somebody claiming that a value list with "hot, warm, cold" infringes their IP?

IP is a big topic all to itself. How FileMaker fits in is also interesting because the developer's code runs within the FM database which requires the FMP client or runtime engine. All that a developer can claim IP on is their code.

I'm sorry, if my words Database Pros Open Source files was confusing, I'm modifying it to Link, so it makes more sense to you. Just click on [color:red]Link in my first post, and it will take you to a file that uses Hot, Warm, Cold in it's interface. The Technique is called Category Color.

Maybe some background on what is involved that is causing your concerns, it surly can't be because you have chosen the words Hot, Warm and Cold as part of your interface?

Lee

Edited by Guest

I'd start by telling this person to only communicate with you in writing. In fact, give them that message in writing.

Keep everything you get from them.

If you're worried then get a lawyer.

• 1 month later...

If you contact the US Copyright office, they will tell you themselves that the words "hot", "Warm", or "Cold" CANNOT be copyrighted as a usage of the english language. Now if they have a "product" named "HOT", then he can sue you if make a product similar in form and manner to his, and name it "HOT"...ie, he has a MOVIE Database program called "HOT", and you create a movie cataloging program, and call it "hot" then he can sue you, but hot, warm, cold being used as adjectives to describe ANYTHING cannot be copyrighted by themselves. Just like you simply cannot copyright your name, as a name. Wouldn't it be great if your name was "Michael", and you had it copyrighted so anyone who has a kid and wants to name him Michael had to pay you licensing fees? Ha ha

• 1 year later...

This topic is 4393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.