Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Converting from fp5 into fp7 Files

This topic is 4958 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I couldnt find the answer anywhere for what I want to do, I tried googling, different search engines and yet, nothing that could help me... and I know that I will find the answer here.

The company I am working on right now is using Filemaker 6 platform, they've been using it for years, now they want to upgrade into fmp11, What I basically have in mind is: can I convert 1 fp5 db that is already created into fp7 extension? the reason for me to doing this is to acelerate the process of creating the files, have the same field names so when the importing process from 1 db to another file comes out I dont have to worry about it too much, I dont care about the scripts and functions, Its only for the design and field names.

I would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out in this, thanks a bunch.

Edited by Guest
removed the edit info

It sounds like you don't have access to FileMaker 11 or you might have discovered the answer yourself (assuming I am understanding your question properly).

FileMaker 11 will open .fp5 files and convert them to new .fp7 files automatically. The fields and the data will be the same names and values. If you have many interrelated files, do the conversion all at once so that the links between the files will be preserved during the conversion.

I recommend that you download the 30-day demo of FileMaker Pro 11 and try out the conversion yourself.

You are right, what I was doing was the following:

1 - Create a DB

2 - put it in the server

3 - Open the Db remotely

once I had the DB created I was thinking about importing the old DB using the "import" from the new one... I didn't try to simply use the "open" function on FMP11 which I just did after reading your post and It created a new file in "fp7" with the fields and info... that is what i was looking for, the only thing that It didnt keep was the layout design, but I can work on it I guess.

Another question, is it possible to migrate a file into another's file table? here's the example.

Back in filemaker 6, we had 6 different images dbs for the products, My goal is to have all the images in 1 db separated by tables, but, i need to open each individual db to convert them into "fp7", then created a new table an import all the fields with the info from the file recently converted...

If you got lost let me know hehe

This topic is 4958 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.