Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Separate file window management

This topic is 4928 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have recently completed a file separation project, but this being my first one I do have a question. When my users log in to the UI file, filemaker will open the connection to the data file. From the users standpoint nothing happens, however, from Filemakers standpoint a new "window" is opened to the data file that the user cannot see. When the user closes the UI file, their connection to the data file does not close unless they manually go to the Window menu, open the data file in a new window, and then close that window. Only then does Filemaker close the connection to complete solution.

Is this normal behavior? Running the command WindowNames does not return these windows but accord to Filemaker server the connection is definitely there.

That is normal behavior. If you want to have file B close when you close file A, you need to write a script to do that.

Then the needs to be set up as part of the file options for each file, where you specify "When closing this file perform script"

Exactly what method would I do this with? I've tried multiple ways to close out of the file and nothing works.

I wrote a script that would go to a layout that displays the data from the related file and then closes the window, but this resulted in a loop of scripts running "On Last Window Close" over and over.

I've also tried the "Select Window" command but this doesn't do anything.

When my users log in to the UI file, filemaker will open the connection to the data file. From the users standpoint nothing happens, however, from Filemakers standpoint a new "window" is opened to the data file that the user cannot see.

This is not correct: a new window is not opened. If it was the startup script would run.

These hidden windows will automatically close if no other files have them open, or the user has opened the window explicitly.

Something is keeping the file open.

This is not correct. The startup script will not necessariliy run.

But perhaps we're saying the same thing in different ways.

When the interface file is opened, a hidden window for the data file is opened and shows up under the Window: Show Window menu. Hidden windows do not run the startup script. Depending on how the data file becomes unhidden, the startup script may run or may not.

I can kind of see that point. But the status of the startup script having run or not does not say anything definitive either. File A can call script "List View" of file B while B is in the super-hidden state; and then B becomes visible and the startup script has not run and - now that the file is visible - will not ever run for this session.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 4928 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.