Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Quick find within a layout

This topic is 2967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to leverage the usefulness of Filemaker's Quick Find, but to have it within a layout?

The reason behind wanting it in a layout is so that I can hide the menu bar and have a cleaner solution for third parties working on the data.

If the specific Quick Find feature can't be placed in a layout, can anyone offer another solution? All I really want to do is quickly select a person's record in a large list of contacts. There are currently only hundreds, but it could grow to thousands very quickly and scrolling through is not an option.

By the way, in case you hadn't guessed, I'm in list view...

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

If i Choose to hide the toolbar (sorry, I said menu bar before) and program New Record, Previous Record, Next Record, etc into the actual layout, then I'll will also be hiding the Quick Find. Can I put the Quick Find functionality into a layout as I do with the other functionality via buttons and scripts?

If this is still not clear, please let me know and I'll add a couple of screen captures.

Thanks!

Define a global text field in the table you wish to search and place it on your layout. Call it Quickfind if you like. Attach a script trigger to the field "On Object Saved". Use the script:

If[not IsEmpty(your table::Quickfind)] //prevents searching for a null value//

Perform Quick Find(your table::Quickfind)

End If

Include text on the layout that specifies pressing Enter, as Return will insert a carriage return since it's a text field.

If you have an opening script attached to your file, you could add the step:

SetField(your table:Quickfind;" ")

and the search field will be empty when the file opens.

RW

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

This topic is 2967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.