Opening multiple instances of a database file

This topic is 8578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a filemaker database solution designed in Filemaker Pro v4.0. It's running on a TCP/IP network. I have a relationship set (in Database A) between two databases (Database A and Database : based on a code field. However in Database A I also have a value list that pulls values from another field in Database B. When you select a value another field in Database A looks up a cost in Database B.

When I open Database A, and click on the value list field I get the value list. However, when I select a value from the list the lookup field remains empty. It does not perform the lookup. When I checked it out, I realised that it was opening two copies of Database B, and as a result was not performing the lookup. The only way I get it to NOT open two copies and thus work properly, was to open Database B first, and then open Database A. Is there a way around this? Why does it happen? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

One of the liabilities of a database structure in which "tables" are implemented by separate computer files is that FM depends upon the OS and the name of a file as part of the relational link. If FM created solutions with multiple tables in a single file, linking could be accomplished by some kind of hidden number, much like field names or script names. When you change the name of a script or field, all is ok as FM keeps track of links using a hidden number, not the names. The downside of the use of file names by FM is that there is no way for FM to KNOW which of the files with the same name you want. Actually, there is a seach order which looks in the same folder first, but this protection is not 100% as files are moved.

I would suggest renaming the other Database B and/or using PKZIP to compress it. -bd

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited November 18, 2000).]

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

One of the liabilities of a database structure in which "tables" are implemented by separate computer files is that FM depends upon the OS and the name of a file as part of the relational link. If FM created solutions with multiple tables in a single file, linking could be accomplished by some kind of hidden number, much like field names or script names. When you change the name of a script or field, all is ok as FM keeps track of links using a hidden number, not the names. The downside of the use of file names by FM is that there is no way for FM to KNOW which of the files with the same name you want. Actually, there is a seach order which looks in the same folder first, but this protection is not 100% as files are moved.

I would suggest renaming the other Database B and/or using PKZIP to compress it. -bd

LiveOak...thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid I don't understand..smiles. I only have one database called B. The trick is becasue it is referred to in the relationship AND in the value list in the field, clicking on the field in Database A causes it to open twice! I want it to open only once. Hope you can help me by clarifying this. Thanks again.

If Database B is appearing twice in your Window menu, you most likely have two different copies of it open (there must be one SOMEWHERE on you disk). The only other possibility (however unlikely) is that you have an OS file system error. Use the Window menu to navigate to each copy and see if they are REALLY the same file (enter something unique in one of them so you can tell). My guess is that you have a second copy of Database B that is opening. -bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

If Database B is appearing twice in your Window menu, you most likely have two different copies of it open (there must be one SOMEWHERE on you disk). The only other possibility (however unlikely) is that you have an OS file system error. Use the Window menu to navigate to each copy and see if they are REALLY the same file (enter something unique in one of them so you can tell). My guess is that you have a second copy of Database B that is opening. -bd

I checked, and I only have one copy of the file. It's really odd. It's not the relationship that causes it. It's the drop down list based on the Database B that causes it to open two instances of the database. It is really strange. And remember if I open Database B first then Database A, when I click on the value list in Database A it works correctly. It doesn't open two copies of Database B. Hope you can help.

Check to see if you stored and or opened a copy from a network server. LiveOak is correct, if you are getting multiple occurrences of the same database name, you have to have another copy stored somewhere. I would go into the relationship window and delete the relationship and reapply it to the proper file. I would also break the value list link and re-establish that one to the correct file. This is one area that I have found FMP to be extremely finicky.

HTH

This topic is 8578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.