Yep, another Newbie question!!!

This topic is 8576 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Howdy... another dumb question from a relatice newbie. I'm confused about how to show totals, and reading the manual and surfing the web has only managed to confuse me more. Information overload. smile.gif Anyways, here's my dilemma:

Simple weightlifting database. Individuals post their name and how much they lifted. They post their many results over several sessions. I have no problem showing individual results by performing a find on lifter's name and the list of their accomplishments is easily displayed showing total lifts (count of entries) as well as the total (sum) of the weight. This part was easy.

My confusion comes in how to display a page with group results. I want to have each lifter on their own line showing total entries and total of weight lifted. I also want to have the results sorted by whoever lifted the most weight (totaled from all their entries.)

I hope this makes sense... I'm a weightlifter, so you may understand why this is so difficult for me!!! smile.gif Thanks for any help offered.

• Newbies

Thanks Kurt for your answer. Unfortunately it's only making me feel more stupid. smile.gif

You wrote: "Create a report that displays this information then, simply preview the report."

This is what I'm stuck on. My layout wants to read only one record at a time. If I go to Preview mode, it displays only the last record. I've tried putting the fields in a Sub-Summary part and still no luck. I'm only messing with three variables: 1.Lifter's Name, 2.Weight Lifted, and 3.Number of Lifts.

I want to display each participant and the total amount and number of times they lifted (not individual records - only totals from those records.) I know this is basic, but I'm spinning my wheels trying to figure it out. What really sucks is I've lost my 4.0 manual and I've only got the 3.0 manual at hand, which has left me very bewildered on how to do this. A simple example solution would be very cool if you know where I could find one!

Create a SUMMARY field, define it as being the sum of the weights lifted field.

Create a new layout. Delete the body part. Create a "subsummary" part and put the fields with lifter's name and the new summary field on it. Nothing else. Define the break field as the lifter's name.

OK, perform the Find that gets the records that you want. Now SORT the database by the break field (lifter's name). Prefiew the new layout. It should list the lifter and give a total next to their name.

If it doesn't work, go back and check that the subsummary part has the right break field specified, and that the database is sorted by the breakfield.

• Newbies

Vaughn, it worked just as you said!!! Thank you so very much, I can now finish this tiny solution.

The only question I have left is how can I sort the results so that the highest summed weight is at the top and the lowest summed weight at the bottom of the list? The only way I can generate the list is by a sort on the lifter's name.

I know, how pathetic am I? smile.gif Really, I have my redeeming qualities, but apparently creating FM Pro solutions is not one of them!

quote:

Originally posted by Sdog:

Howdy... another dumb question from a relatice newbie. I'm confused about how to show totals, and reading the manual and surfing the web has only managed to confuse me more. Information overload.
smile.gif
Anyways, here's my dilemma:

Simple weightlifting database. Individuals post their name and how much they lifted. They post their many results over several sessions. I have no problem showing individual results by performing a find on lifter's name and the list of their accomplishments is easily displayed showing total lifts (count of entries) as well as the total (sum) of the weight. This part was easy.

My confusion comes in how to display a page with group results. I want to have each lifter on their own line showing total entries and total of weight lifted. I also want to have the results sorted by whoever lifted the most weight (totaled from all their entries.)

Create a report that displays this information then, simply preview the report. You can also use a bunch of GetSummary() functions to display in browse mode, but this is sometimes more difficult to setup.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8576 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.