Resizing forms

FMUser2011

This topic is 4823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I have filemaker 9 installed on my machine, the database is on our server.

Everytime I open something in filemaker (for example contacts) the window is small, I would like it to open maximised and zoomed in if possible.

Is there a setting somewhere that allows you to change this?

Thanks

The file opens to the last window size when it was closed single user.

Ideally, you have an Open Script and in it you have a Resize Window to Fit script step. I don't suggest maximize on Windows, as you'll experience the dreaded new window in front of maximized window resizes background window issue.

The file opens to the last window size when it was closed single user.

Ideally, you have an Open Script and in it you have a Resize Window to Fit script step. I don't suggest maximize on Windows, as you'll experience the dreaded new window in front of maximized window resizes background window issue.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. FM doesnt remember that I had it maximised before. Are you saying the only other way to do this is to edit a script somewhere?

let me know

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. FM doesnt remember that I had it maximised before. Are you saying the only other way to do this is to edit a script somewhere?

let me know

Thanks a lot.

They are saying, create yourself a script to trigger upon the opening of the database that runs the AdjustWindow(ResizeToFit) script step. You can then set this script to run on open from File --> File Options and set the Perform Script section in the When opening this file area.

They are saying, create yourself a script to trigger upon the opening of the database that runs the AdjustWindow(ResizeToFit) script step. You can then set this script to run on open from File --> File Options and set the Perform Script section in the When opening this file area.

How easy is creating a script? Would not have a clue where to start.

How easy is creating a script? Would not have a clue where to start.

I saw you said this is a hosted database your accessing? Are you the developer? If not, you may want to ask them to help you out.

If you are, its very quick and easy. Go to the Scripts Menu, Enter the Manage Scripts Section. Click the button labeled New, which will create a new script and open it for editing. Name the script, something simple like Open Database would work. Then, in the list of steps on the left window pane, find Adjust Window within the Windows section. Double click the step, and it will add it to your script. You will notice, in the bottom pane, an option to specify and a drop down list. In that drop down list, you should see "Resize to Fit". Select that option, then close the Edit Script Window. It will ask if you want to save, make sure you say YES! Now, that script titled Open Database, or whatever you called it will be in the Manage Scripts Window. Close the Manage Scripts window, then enter the File --> File Options menu and choose the Specify button next to Perform Script in the When opening this database area. Select your Open Database script, and click OK. Then select OK again to close your File Options and you are all set up. Close your Filemaker file and re-open to see the fruits of your labor.

I saw you said this is a hosted database your accessing? Are you the developer? If not, you may want to ask them to help you out.

If you are, its very quick and easy. Go to the Scripts Menu, Enter the Manage Scripts Section. Click the button labeled New, which will create a new script and open it for editing. Name the script, something simple like Open Database would work. Then, in the list of steps on the left window pane, find Adjust Window within the Windows section. Double click the step, and it will add it to your script. You will notice, in the bottom pane, an option to specify and a drop down list. In that drop down list, you should see "Resize to Fit". Select that option, then close the Edit Script Window. It will ask if you want to save, make sure you say YES! Now, that script titled Open Database, or whatever you called it will be in the Manage Scripts Window. Close the Manage Scripts window, then enter the File --> File Options menu and choose the Specify button next to Perform Script in the When opening this database area. Select your Open Database script, and click OK. Then select OK again to close your File Options and you are all set up. Close your Filemaker file and re-open to see the fruits of your labor.

I will see what I can do - Thanks very much for that. I will post back if I have any issues!!

Hi Again - Do I need to create this script on the server hosting the database or on each of the Client PC's connecting to that database?

Help appreciated!!

Hi Again - Do I need to create this script on the server hosting the database or on each of the Client PC's connecting to that database?

Help appreciated!!

If the file is being hosted by a Server, then that one file is being connected to by all the clients. You can edit it from your connection to the database(client), and it will then apply for all(clients) who connect to the file.

Help appreciated!!

Neither one.

You are creating the script in the file itself; which - you are saying - is hosted by FileMaker Server?

If the file is being hosted by a Server, then that one file is being connected to by all the clients. You can edit it from your connection to the database(client), and it will then apply for all(clients) who connect to the file.

I see - So are you saying that if I create this script on one of the client PC's it will be accesible to all of the other PC's also accessing that same database stored on the server?

ps: the server it is hosted on is a SBS2008 box at the same site.

I see - So are you saying that if I create this script on one of the client PC's it will be accesible to all of the other PC's also accessing that same database stored on the server?

ps: the server it is hosted on is a SBS2008 box at the same site.

Thats correct. In a server/client setup, there is one* file that is hosted by the Server. That one file is connected to by the clients. So if a client makes a modification, it will be a modification to the file which is distributed to all the clients. Like BruceR said, your not really making the edit locally. The client is really manipulating the hosted file.

*Granted, your server could be hosting more than one file, but trying to keep the explanation simple.

Right - That clears it up. I'll try creating the script on one of the PC's and as you say hopefully it will start operating on everyone's FM.

Any more problems I'll get back to you..but thanks for your help so far!! :)

ps: yes the SBS2008 server my client has has FileMaker Server 11 installed on it I believe. The versions of filemaker the users have on their PC's range from v9 to v11

This topic is 4823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.