avoiding duplicates

lingtheling

This topic is 4811 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My brain I reckon!

So... I feel like I'm getting a bit more... but am stuck again...

I've used the 'placement's db' sent by 'consultant' (thank you - this has helped loads, though I think I'm missing a key concept...) as a way to help me rethink.

I've made tables inside the one file. Currently navigated through the layout drop down (I'll make a button on the interface later).

These have ID no's, and I've used these to create the relationships. I've used a portal to show the address information - this is for ease of use for the user.

So... where I"m at now...

When choosing an existing company, it will pull in the data, but still create a new file.

So I'm not sure if I need to script that out, or if I'm doing something wrong with the ID's and relationships (my understanding here is still wooly!).

I also am yet to create a portal (which I think is what was suggested in the placement layout) to record students on the placements... this is my next step.

I've got a meeting to go to... so I'm on a break from it for a coupla hrs - will be back on it soon.

Any advice in the meantime appreciated!

Thanks

Lisa

StudentPlacements2011v2.fp7.zip

Sorry - no good reason for it being pw protected... just in the editing.

placements2011

pw: cr3ativ3

I've not changed the year on the file name, nor in the interface - not for any particular reason... just that I'm trying to concentrate on the edits in the file. In my mind that's the aesthetics of it which yes - will change.

I've understood a bit more from the placements example, your example has helped me (I think) to better understand ID's (so it was useful -thank you). But I don't think I need to create separate records for projects and companies.

Seriously - I'm not being difficult.

Projects really only need a title - we manage these in house and can be attached to the student record.

I've read placements as being the companies - and therefore see that I only need one lot of contact information.

Are you seeing something I'm not?

The layout with dates on - allow us for the year to see where students are any given week. Yes, of course there maybe a better way of doing this. But at the moment - this layout works well enough. I only need it to work on a year by year basis. When I become a bit more proficient - maybe I'll see a better way to do it - but I think it does for now.

>Sorry, this is a really really really pointless exercise. You may as well be throwing spaghetti at it.

>Hire somebody competent. End of my participation.

??

Why are you so cross with me?

Would be nice to pay someone - I don't have a budget, nor will I be able to get a budget (I wish!).

I remembered last time to take the pw out - I forgot this time, an oversight.

Yes - Projects really only need a title - we manage these in house and can be attached to the student record. What is the problem with that?

>If you can't pay anybody then the project is of no value and you should stop.

That isn't for you to decide.

Please don't be so rude.

I have created ID (#30) no's and have linked relationships through these.

No it isn't working perfectly yet - this is what I'm aiming at.

I have submitted a mod of the file I've been working on.

Are you upset because I haven't used your model?

Thanks Lee.

This is where I'm at now this afternoon.

I think it's almost doing what I would like it to do.

Though of course I appreciate it might not necessarily be the best way... I'm trying.

The frustrations aired by Bruce seem to suggest that I'm looking at it all wrong... but I can't see why or how.

I've tried to get my head around ID no's and creating relationships through these. I think this is working.

I foresee that we'd be using it mainly through the student form, which is why I'd ideally like to be able to enter the placement addresses through here.

I actually like the interface in terms of what I want it to do... but of course its not quite doing what I want it to do.

I've taken out the dates from the titles.

Through the Company ID the addresses use a lookup to show the address.

But on entering a new student and company, it still creates a duplicate in the placements form.

Where do I go from here?

Still fiddling.

Thanks.

StudentPlacementsEDITsv4.fp7.zip

Ummm...

Sorry have I got the wrong end of the stick.

I've got three relationships - but I thought 2 tables was right since these were my primary interfaces.

Sorry to sound dim, but I'm not sure why I would want a different table for companies if the placement table was where this (the company) information was stored.

Lisa

I guess it looks a bit like that... but that isn't my intention.

Of course its' difficult online to see the exactness of what each person is trying to say.

What I've tried to do is to create something along the lines of what I understand - and what I think I need. Is that wrong?

So the question that I perhaps should have asked...

Why do I want to have three tables, if the company information is stored in placements?

I'm really sorry for seeming obtuse - but I honestly haven't seen the connections, nor made them.

Please can you let me off the hook and just tell me what I've not done, or what I am not seeing!

I feel like I'm in the middle of a jigsaw puzzle which has a jigsaw puzzle placed on the top.

I've tried to read between the lines and to make changes accordingly

:-(

You need a level of support that cannot be accomplished in an online forum.

Get funding for professional training; and/or hire a developer. Everybody has done triple backwards somersaults to explain all the issues and make sound professional recommendations and provide you with basic or detailed examples.

It is abundantly clear that making those recommendations again or explaining them again will not accomplish anything.

Yes, I appreciate there has been lots of advice, but the lack of contextual information / explanation hasn't helped me to be able to see the solutions that are so clear to you chaps who are of course experts!

Sometimes it is helpful to describe things in different ways! I often have to explain the same thing in different ways to different people, or even the same person.

As advised:

I've created tables in one file. I've created multiple tables, linked them with ID's.

But am missing a part of the jigsaw puzzle...

I am reviewing this thread.

Please keep you comments on topic and professional.

Educational References:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/training/fts.html

http://www.vtc.com/products/FileMaker-Pro-11-Beginner-Tutorials.htm

http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=62221&srchtrk=index%3A1%0Alinktypeid%3A2%0Aq%3Afilemaker%0Apage%3A1%0As%3Arelevance%0Asa%3Atrue%0Aproducttypeid%3A4

I am reviewing this thread.

Here's my review:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

The play stinks: although the initial conflict is presented fairly quickly, the plot keeps repeating itself from this point on, with no inner development of the characters and no signs of any movement toward a catharsis.

Worst of all, a character that commits suicide at the end of Act 1, returns to incessantly harass the heroine in Acts 2 and 3. Perhaps it's a ghost? We'll never know. Stay away.

This topic is 4811 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.