Help please re relationship/list

kiwiora

This topic is 4781 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

:( It's official... I suck at relationships. I admit it. But, I'm not too proud to ask for help :)

Re the attached - Because you can't have a relationship on a calculation, I need to come up with a better solution.

Basically the story goes that only those works available (i.e not sold) will be listed when selecting from the line items drop down list. I tried to re-create a technique with a major fail :(

There are several tables involved

Artworks

Invoices

invoice line items

Artworks has a relationship that identifies if an item is sold, based upon a relationship of the SerialID to invoice line items.

Hope that all makes sense :S TIA

ShowSoldWorks.zip

you can't have a relationship on a calculation

That's not accurate: only unstored calculations cannot be used as the matchfield on the child side.

only those works available (i.e not sold) will be listed when selecting

How many times can the same artwork be sold?

"IT"?

Fields. WHICH fields?

What are we supposed to do with your empty answers?

Per my original post

only those works available (i.e not sold) will be listed when selecting from the line items drop down list

I have to have line items for the invoice because I may also be importing from an online site (that is not of my creation). i.e I need to work with the original design - Artwork <-> Line Item <-> Invoice

In the portal on the Invoice, the Line Item drop down needs to be a list of the artworks available (i.e NOT sold). The record on the Artworks table identifies as being sold if there is a corresponding item found in line items i.e Sum(Artworks_InvoiceLineItems::Constant).

I have to have line items for the invoice because I may also be importing from an online site

I can't see the connection between the two. By now it is clear that the relationship between Invoices and Artworks is one-to-many - therefore a LineItems table is not only redundant, but actually causes unnecessary problems. I would certainly not let someone else's site dictate my data structure.

IOW, you are saying "I need to shoot myself in the foot, can someone please help with the bandaging?"

Per my original post

Your original post provided no useful information; hence the questions, which you have only just now answered in part.

Then, after providing the answers, you go back to your nothingness post.

It isn't really clear what you expect here, and why you are not cooperating by providing complete and clear detail about what you are trying to accomplish.

I can't see the connection between the two. By now it is clear that the relationship between Invoices and Artworks is one-to-many - therefore a LineItems table is not only redundant, but actually causes unnecessary problems. I would certainly not let someone else's site dictate my data structure.

IOW, you are saying "I need to shoot myself in the foot, can someone please help with the bandaging?"

I'm not following this.

It seems that an invoice can cover one or more artworks; plus several other charges, which seem like they could be listed as line items. It is not clear whether these other charges have a 1-1 relation to the artwork, or whether they apply as a single charge even when an order may contain multiple artworks.

It is true that since art items are unique, an invoice line for an art item will have a 1-1 relation to the artworks table.

Is there a structure that makes sense to you?

It seems that an invoice can cover one or more artworks; plus several other charges, which seem like they could be listed as line items.

I'll change my mind if it turns out that you can buy 1 artwork with 2 frames, or just insurance and freight with no artwork...

Your intended structure is not at all apparent. What about three art works; and one freight charge? Maybe a gift wrap charge. At this point you're not being any more clear than the original poster.

Maybe you advocate that the line items table only describe the additional charges?

This topic is 4781 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.