drop down list to trigger email

This topic is 4784 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

HI im a newbie to FileMaker, have had experiences with DB programming basics before but that was 7 years ago. I'm currently trying to see if it's possible to trigger an email to be sent automatically by filemaker once the value of a drop down list changes. While on the layout view, i set the button set up to "Send Mail" and upon testing it did send, but it was after clicking the list and not even changing anything. Hope someone can help. thanks, you help will be greatly appreciated.

I would hold the original value of the drop down list in a global variable ($$OrigValueDropDown) using the On Record Load layout trigger. And then for the field with the drop down list, use the On Object Exit field trigger and compare the original value to the changed value. If it has in fact changed - send email.

HI im a newbie to FileMaker, have had experiences with DB programming basics before but that was 7 years ago. I'm currently trying to see if it's possible to trigger an email to be sent automatically by filemaker once the value of a drop down list changes. While on the layout view, i set the button set up to "Send Mail" and upon testing it did send, but it was after clicking the list and not even changing anything. Hope someone can help. thanks, you help will be greatly appreciated.

• Newbies

I would hold the original value of the drop down list in a global variable ($$OrigValueDropDown) using the On Record Load layout trigger. And then for the field with the drop down list, use the On Object Exit field trigger and compare the original value to the changed value. If it has in fact changed - send email.

Hey thanks, will surely try this. Thought i'd be at my wits end to figure this one out. :-)

Curious use of email, imho. Is this an audit approach? Seems like lots of emails, and I would think there's a better way to achieve your goal--whatever that is.

This topic is 4784 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.