Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Probably an Easy One !

This topic is 8740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am a rookie with this software, but am using Filemaker Pro v. 4.0 and am trying to setup a script that will accomplish the following:

Get a text name from a field, e.g. "Bill Smith"

Search the database for records with the same name.

Count the number of records.

Put the value (number of records) into the text of a second field on the form.

The application is a reporting database and the purpose of this script would be to inform the user of the number of previous reports which have been completed on the individual to date.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I apologize for the rookie nature of the question !

Rob Andrews

A quick way to display the number of records associated with each name is via a self relationship. If you first create a relationship which matches the name field to itself, you can then create a calculation field that will count the number of records that have the same data in the name field, looking something like this:

Count(SelfNameRelation::Name)

The name SelfNameRelation is the name I chose for the relationship. Make certain that the name field being counted is from the relationship.

You could either then view the count information with each record or try to summarize it via a subsummary layout or a portal. Note, for the portal to work properly you would have to setup a means to mark at least one record for each name. Is this a solution you wish to pursue?

This topic is 8740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.