What is the best way to track attendance?

This topic is 4739 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello FMP idols,

Am a novice to FMP

What is the best way I should keep track of attendance for my customers...

I have a customersTable, in a form layout, I want to have a field with checkbox set, in this checkbox set, I want to be listed all the events I've held, and all the classes I've held. So basically, when viewing each customer in the form, I will be able to check off every event and class that the customer has attended. After this I would like to be able to do reports where I can list all customers that have attended a certain event, or class, etc.

I notice that if I do a custom ValueList with the names of events and classes, that I am able to check off multiple values in the field containing the check box set,... but then, where is that info stored on the table, and how do I use that to generate reports...

If I try to create an eventsTable, Im not even sure what the match field would be, and then have the ValueList refer to the EventNameField on the that table, then I am only able to check off one value, not multiple, well that doesn't work for me either...

I need to be able to check off multiple values, and then be able to generate reports of which customers attended which event or class.

Thank you

Is there a difference btw events and classes? What I'm getting at is an event a parent of a class?

You need a join table, not checkboxes. Customers->Attendance<-Class(Events)

I'm not sure where Events fit in. Perhaps Events and Classes are in the same table, with a field to distinguish which type they are.

Show a portal to the join table on the Customer form.

Yes events are events that we throw, conventions, appearances, etc. Classes are educational classes that we have. What if I have check boxes, all checked boxes go into a text field, can't I still generate a report based on that field?

What if I have check boxes, all checked boxes go into a text field, can't I still generate a report based on that field?

Not really, because if Adam attended Events #1 and #2, and Betty attended Event #2, you report should look like this:

Event #1

• Adam

Event #2

• Adam

• Betty

But you only have one record for Adam - and one record cannot appear in two places at the same time.

---

Although it would be sort of possible to produce such report using a portal to Customers on a layout of Events, it's not advisable since portals do not print well across page breaks.

This topic is 4739 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.