Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Referencing Account Details with extra bits.

This topic is 4757 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

not sure if this is the right place to post this, so apologies up front.

I have set up account info in the FMP account management area. However I have extra data that needs to be accessed and associated with the accounts or users. I have a table called tblUsers containing varied info like "destNo' ID field that determines a school that user is associated with, their full name (first and last) and other contact details. How do I go about linking the Account Name from FMP security with my table data from tblUsers so their details can be updated eg: update username but changes are reflected in both tblUsers and FMP Account security. Ideally would be a layout displaying this information and allowing it to be updated.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Peter

Hiya

The best way in my opinion to do this would be to initally set up the users data in the data table so that it matches the accounts you have set up e.g. account name, password, privilege sets.

Set up a script to run on the open of databases that finds in tblUsers by their account name. Once found you can then set a global variable of their user ID.

If you want to be able to amend their account details from their record in tblUser there's a whole set of scripts in Scriptmaker under the heading of Accounts - Add Account, Delete Account, Reset Account Password, Change Password, Enable Account and Re-login.

You can then either use script triggers or buttons etc to update this information via scripts.

If you need more help let me know.

Vicky

Hi,

thanks for getting back on this. I did find the accounts scripts no worries and I won't store the password details in table users, the user will just have to reset Account password to update (so no storage of password). So no issues there.

The only bit I have a problem with is the opening script you mentioned where you match up the username in tblUsers with the account Name in FMP management.Then setting the global userID. No idea where to start on that is there any examples of how to proceed.

I am pulling down and displaying the current user's account name when that person is logged on but as an Administrator I would have to see a complete list of Account Names and be able to edit their account names in both FMP management and tblUsers (at the same time) and update other details. .Is that possible??

Thanks

Peter

as an Administrator I would have to see a complete list of Account Names and be able to edit their account names in both FMP management and tblUsers (at the same time) and update other details.

Will you (or anyone else authorized to manage accounts) have a [Full Access] account?

Well, that makes it simpler, because you only need to worry about users not messing with the Users table. If you want to allow them access to their own user record (e.g. as a "dashboard") make sure that the Users privilege set is restricted:

Records:

View: limited to when AccountName = Get ( AccountName )

Field Access: UserName (their real name) - view only; all other fields - no access;

Edit, Create, Delete - no.

Layouts:

You'll need two layouts for this table, one for the users (Users) and one for you (Accounts). Allow users to view the Users layout but give them no access to the Accounts layout.

Also make sure that the AccountName field is validated as 'Unique, Validate always'.

This is not meant to be a complete list - I might have missed a point or two.

As for managing the accounts, don't expect too much. Filemaker will not synchronize your Users table with its internal Accounts table. You will have to do this yourself. Note also that the scripts are pretty limited: for example there's no script to change an account name. You might be better off working in the Manage Security… window directly.

If it seems a bit primitive, it's because it is: FMI's policy is to recommend external authentication for anything more complex than a few accounts.

Oh, and if you do use account-managing scripts, make sure they are not executable by users.

This topic is 4757 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.