Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Reference vs Import

This topic is 4751 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey,

I am going to start an archive database where I am scanning my companies old paper documents using a BIZ HUB scanner... which makes the files pretty large. What are your thoughts on storing these files as reference vs. natively inside the database. Here are my thoughts:

FOR: All files are in one place

AGAINST: The database file size will be HUGE

FOR: If I store as reference, if the files are moved and the "link is broken", won't that be a disaster?

I've always stored inside filemaker, but this time I'm talking about a MAJOR scan and archive project.

Thanks.

Hey,

I am going to start an archive database where I am scanning my companies old paper documents using a BIZ HUB scanner... which makes the files pretty large. What are your thoughts on storing these files as reference vs. natively inside the database. Here are my thoughts:

FOR: All files are in one place

AGAINST: The database file size will be HUGE

FOR: If I store as reference, if the files are moved and the "link is broken", won't that be a disaster?

I've always stored inside filemaker, but this time I'm talking about a MAJOR scan and archive project.

Thanks.

We always store files as references. Using a plugin like troi file we also maintain complete control over the file library. Files or photos are dropped into the record that references the file. Thru troi we then determine by attributes set in the record where this file is stored, and what is its name. Folders are created if necessary and the file renamed and copied to the server location all automaticaly via the plugin commands. Access to these files directly is not allowed, and all file manipulation is done thru Filemaker via in most cases the troi plugin features. It's proven to be one of the features most liked in our solution when dealing with photos, pdf's, and other files associated with a product.

Store the files as references. Have the first part of the path be a pref, so that you can move the folder hierarchy if you need to. Therefore, the paths to the actually files are calcs. Use a lot of folders.

Typically, there is a table dedicated to stored, system-wide values and this table is often called Prefs. This is where a logo is stored (in a container), and your prefix path to the directory of files. These values are often set to global fields or $$vars in an Open script.

This topic is 4751 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.