Quick find option in layout screen

This topic is 4740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In default we have quick find option in Toolbar

but my objective to implement the quick find search box to the layout screen.

I'm not sure how to implement it. Is anyone having the knowledge about to use the quick find options in multiple way please share your experience..

From this and your other post...

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/77901-show-total-found-position-of-record-in-the-layout/

... it looks as though you're trying to re-create the toolbar as part of a layout, so you can than hide the real tool bar.

It's not possible to completely re-create all the features, such as the record browsing and the quick find.

I ask why you are doing this?

From this and your other post...

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/77901-show-total-found-position-of-record-in-the-layout/

... it looks as though you're trying to re-create the toolbar as part of a layout, so you can than hide the real tool bar.

It's not possible to completely re-create all the features, such as the record browsing and the quick find.

I ask why you are doing this?

I beg to differ. These two features are perhaps the easiest to duplicate within a layout. A quick search field is an easy finagle and as far as browsing records, well, setting up a system of buttons to go to first, previous, next and last record, as well as an "of #" field is also possible and simple. You may be correct in that it may not be possible to re-create all the features although I haven't found one yet. None of my layouts ever need the toolbar.

RW

... the slider below the record number is that one feature.

Indeed, I specifically mentioned the slider in the other post that I linked to.

... setting up a system of buttons to go to first, previous, next and last record, as well as an "of #" field is also possible and simple

LOL I first tried this in FMP 2.1. However it's a lot of work and, frankly, generally looks worse than the default, and provides no additional functionality. Actually, it provides less functionality.

So the proposition is to do a lot of work to get LESS functionality than doing nothing and leaving the status toolbar on. That doesn't sound like a good return on the development investment.

If the rationale for doing this is to hide the new- and delete-record icons to restrict user actions, then that's a FAIL. Interface doesn't provide security.

My rationale for hiding the status toolbar is that:

1. I don't control what's shown there;

2. Most of what's shown there doesn't do anything (I do control that).

So if left showing it would only be a wasted and confusing chunk of the screen.

I think that providing buttons for navigation and some indication of where you are is rather trivial. As for Quick Find - if required - I would suggest making your own anyway, since the native one sucks:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/74272-quick-find-clearing-does-nothing/page__p__351614__fromsearch__1#entry351614

Indeed, I specifically mentioned the slider in the other post that I linked to.

LOL I first tried this in FMP 2.1. However it's a lot of work and, frankly, generally looks worse than the default, and provides no additional functionality. Actually, it provides less functionality.

So the proposition is to do a lot of work to get LESS functionality than doing nothing and leaving the status toolbar on. That doesn't sound like a good return on the development investment.

If the rationale for doing this is to hide the new- and delete-record icons to restrict user actions, then that's a FAIL. Interface doesn't provide security.

Yes, the slider is better and can't be duplicated (AFAIK). The reason I use the arrow buttons is I can integrate them into my own layouts and make them look half-decent, not to block other functionality. As far as the amount of work, it really only has to be done once then pasted into any layout. That said, I'm generally dealing with (on layouts like this) dozens, not thousands, of records so the system is convenient. Using this sort of interface element with thousands of records in a found set would be downright silly.

Using this sort of interface element with thousands of records in a found set would be downright silly.

The size of the record count or found set makes no difference. Internally FMP is doing the same calculations, and it doesn't slow down (or speed up with the status area is hidden).

The size of the record count or found set makes no difference. Internally FMP is doing the same calculations, and it doesn't slow down (or speed up with the status area is hidden).

Vaughan,

What I mean is that with a huge number of records, the options first, previous,next and last are inadequate navigation tools. A slider can skip through an unlimited number of records to, at least, get in the ballpark. I was referring to UI, not internal FM processing.

RW

This topic is 4740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.