Server Maintenance This Week. ×

fp7 binary structure

This topic is 4706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

Are there any docs available on the filemaker (fp7) file structure? I'm basically looking to edit (in binary mode) an fp7 file. I need to modify the string in External Data Source box for about 100 UI files. UI files are all the same the only difference is that each points to a different DATA file on the FM server. This happens on an ongoing basis, every time we issue an update. I'm designing a C++ app that handles this, just having a little trouble figuring out where/how the file reference string is stored inside the binary file. I was able to locate and modify the string to some degree but it doesn't appear to be working 100% so it can't be rolled out to production as of yet.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks.

Don't do it, that kind of low level 'hack' WILL irreparably corrupt your file.

Hack would be the right way to call it, but unfortunately it remains the only way until filemaker decides to allow their users to make these changes programatically, such as changing data reference through a script. Many developers out there who implement the data separation model would benefit from this. Of course the low level hack would not be done on the "master" file so there's no need to worry about corruption if done properly. Hence, the reason I'm looking for a documentation.

Thanks,

Dali

I need to modify the string in External Data Source box for about 100 UI files... every time we issue an update.

I'd put the effort into changing the way updates are done to avoid having to modify the external data sources.

Hi there,

Are there any docs available on the filemaker (fp7) file structure? I'm basically looking to edit (in binary mode) an fp7 file. I need to modify the string in External Data Source box for about 100 UI files. UI files are all the same the only difference is that each points to a different DATA file on the FM server. This happens on an ongoing basis, every time we issue an update. I'm designing a C++ app that handles this, just having a little trouble figuring out where/how the file reference string is stored inside the binary file. I was able to locate and modify the string to some degree but it doesn't appear to be working 100% so it can't be rolled out to production as of yet.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks.

Contact this guy: Winfried Huslik <[email protected]>

This topic is 4706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.