Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is 6 months enough time?

This topic is 4698 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is six months of using the new forum software enough to say it sucks? I know the idea of moving again can be a horrifying prospect - but I think it's worth considering nevertheless.

I think 'it sucks' is too strong. There are problems. Have you given feedback with lists of what is wrong? I have sent in some bug reports but not all get acted upon. For instance, in this screen (Post a reply) when I first see it there is no cursor. Also, when I log in, the cursor does not go to the user name field which I find annoying. Maybe you could be more specific in your complaint,

Norman

Have you given feedback

Yes, I have - you can scroll back and see at least some of it. In any case, it was not my intention to re-open the debate of the forum software's pros and cons. I was merely pointing out that time is passing and things are not improving.

---

BTW, this is by no means a criticism of the forum's administration. I believe Stephen is no less frustrated by the situation then I am - perhaps even more. And should my urging be successful, it will at the expense of his time and effort, not mine. Still, I think it's important to bring it up.

Edited by comment

Thank your the feedback, this past week the developers of this forum have released a beta build v3.2 of the core forum software -

I am actively participating in beta testing & feedback with the developers. Once they officially release the product along with

the associated other modules - ( CMS, Blogs, Downloads, marketplace etc ) we will be upgrading to this next version.

I hate to put a "date" on this but by the looks of things I'd estimate in the next two months we should be upgrading.

Like any software there will be an adjustment - some features will be removed and slowly added back in as several were

modifications / hooks / apps / skins that were built by 3rd party developers - who will have to update their code to work with

the final release version.

I have exhausted many hours looking at other forum software and IPB is by far the most mature and feature rich.

The past two engines we've had the developers all had day jobs, so any development time was more or less a hobby.

As this code base is quite different from what I am use to I am feverishly trying to get up to speed with the inter workings

and coding styles. Some issues - may be quickly solved by a system setting - others may require a small alteration to the code

and yet some items may be outside of my skill level and I have to either wait for someone to make a modification/hook or

¢ommi$$ion someone to make make the changes.

As FMForums is funded by the devoted advertisers and some small google juice we are able to keep the site in the black

and cover our hosting costs, software license maintenance, domain names, and the occasional Starbucks for them over

night coding sessions.

If you appreciate the value of FMForums please consider contributing to the site ( link to the right ) these funds will help

in freeing up my time so I can further make this site a valuable asset to your Filemaker experience.

Your generosity is always welcome.

Sincerely

Stephen

This topic is 4698 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.