Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Create Relationship using Scripts

This topic is 4700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys..........Hello to all

I still have problem with FileMaker Pro 11 with Relationship and forms.(on Windows and mac)

1) i want to create relationship programmatically in filemaker pro 11 database.

is there any manually method using scripts to create relationship and then i do this programatically(create

and fire scripts for relationship).

Is this possible or not whiich i m thinking.

2) and second is i want to create forms programmatically.

i have no idea about this how this will possible for FM database.

if any have idea for both then plz reply.

Have a nice day to all.............

is there any manually method using scripts to create relationship and then i do this programatically (create

and fire scripts for relationship)

No it's not possible, nor is it ever required.

The fact that you are asking for something like this indicates that you need to understand more about how relationships work and what they do.

To move forward it would be best for you to post a description of what you want to do -- not how you think it should be implemented. :D

thanks for reply Vaughan,

i m describing my problem:

i working with FileMaker pro 11 on mac and using FM ODBC driver 11.0.81.00 for using automation on FM database.

and i have create connection with Existing FM database(.fp7) file.In this database i created new table with

"CREATE TABLE" query an insert records using "INSERT VALUES" query.

1) My first problem is that i m working on Relationship, and i want to apply this programatically

using CREATE or UPDATE queries with FOREIGN KEY syntax but this is not working.

How this will done in right way?

2) my second problem is same as above how i create forms(Templates) programatically?

Is there any function or another method or any API for do this in right way.

pls help me about this.

If all you need to do is set data in related tables then you can use SQL syntax using joins. You do not need to set up FM relationships for that.

As to creating layouts (forms): there is no API for that. The closet you can get to do this programatically is using the OS's UI manipulation tools and mimic what a user would have to do.

Not entirely clear why you would want to do this, can you expand a bit on that request?

ok Wim,

For ex: On windows we used ADO Function for databse,

in ADO for create Relationship,We used CreateRelation() Function, and this function create relation b/w columns for given tables.

as like this on Mac how we do this, i have no ADO, no API for FileMaker on mac.

so How would this will possible............

thanks for reply.

The FileMaker SQL engine does not support the concept of foreign key constrains. The notion of a relationship on the FM "Relationships" graph is not necessarily the same as the notion of a relationship in SQL. There is no way to create a FM-style relationship using SQL (or any libraries that manipulate SQL, such as ADO).

There might be a way to make an external application create a FM-style relationship, using the techniques employed by FMPro Migrator (for example). I don't know what those techniques are, but I'm pretty sure there are FM experts out there who might be able to provide you with a solution.

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X

http://www.actualtech.com

The FileMaker SQL engine does not support the concept of foreign key constrains. The notion of a relationship on the FM "Relationships" graph is not necessarily the same as the notion of a relationship in SQL. There is no way to create a FM-style relationship using SQL (or any libraries that manipulate SQL, such as ADO).

There might be a way to make an external application create a FM-style relationship, using the techniques employed by FMPro Migrator (for example). I don't know what those techniques are, but I'm pretty sure there are FM experts out there who might be able to provide you with a solution.

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X

http://www.actualtech.com

Good morning,

ok there is no support for foregin key in FM ODBD driver 11.0.81.00 ,

but is there any API or SDK for implement this?

and what about to make an external application regarding create relationship?

pls help me about this.......

Regards:

coolbdy

and what about to make an external application regarding create relationship?

There are applications that have been capable of doing this, like FMrobot. They do so by scripting the UI, just like the user would do it manually. In the case of FMrobot, it works of the XML DDR so theorectically if you can construct an XML DDR - like format it would do the job... but that's a stretch.

This topic is 4700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.