Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Deleting Records

This topic is 4624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have the following problem.

In our dbase, a record went missing. Someone must have deleted it as we know it was there before.

Most users use a privelege that only allows them to delete via a scripted delete button, and in that case the deletion is logged. The menu item Delete and the FM delete button are inactive for these users.

However the log shows no entry of this particular record being deleted (and there are a few more like this).

Hence it must have been an admin, who has access to the delete entry in the menu of Filemaker or the Filemaker delete button, because; if an admin presses that, then the records would be gone, but without an entry in the log just as we are seeing.

Hence my question.

Is it possible to add a thing into the "Filemaker Menus delete command" so when that is pressed by an admin, something is written into my log also?

Is it possible to tie the delete function in filemaker to a new routine?

Thanks

Spongebob.

You can use a custom menu, but there's no guarantee that the admin user won't switch back to full FileMaker menus if they have full access.

I think you are asking "can a full-access account have limited privileges". The answer to that is obviously no - but there is no reason for any of your users to have full-access privileges (assuming that's what "admin" means).

BTW, deleting a record and logging the deletion seem a bit counter-productive; why not simply mark the record as deleted and leave it in place? Also, do not dismiss the possibility of records disappearing due to file corruption (or other causes, e.g. cascade delete via a relationship).

• 2 weeks later...

Also, do not dismiss the possibility of records disappearing due to file corruption (or other causes, e.g. cascade delete via a relationship).

Hm...ok. No Relationships will cause these records to be deleted. Further, the record has a portal to "child records". The child records which get deleted when the main record is deleted are missing cleanly as well. As a result I conclude that the record was deleted properly in the sense that someone pushed the button.

Re "dont ignore file corruption" - you really think this could be an issue? I have much experience with file corruption and this file, which is on a server gives me no trouble at all, also when I back it up, making the files clones and backups twice a day gives me no errors at all, opening the file directly gives no errors either; it could not behave cleaner. Given this you still think it could be file corruption? I somehow doubt it.

This topic is 4624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.