Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Auto sending/recieving SMS via API in Filemaker Server

sal88

This topic is 4578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

I have made a database that sends and receives SMS' to/from my clients and an SMS provider. The reason the database sits in the middle is so that users can simply email from their to [mobile]@[customdomain.com] and it will reach the mobile, then replies from the phone will be received in to the inbox. These replies will contain all of the message history.

Currently I am running a script on Filemaker Server with the help of the mail it plugin. This sends/receives SMS' by using the email2SMS feature provided by the SMS provider.

I would now like to utilise the API that the SMS provider provides, so that I can track the messages and inform the client when they have failed.

I believe I require the 'open url' script step to do this, however, Filemaker server cannot use this step.

Does anyone have any pointers as to how I can have my solution automatically send commands to the API?

Thanks

Sorry, perhaps I put too much information in this post, but it is not an email issue, the question is how to get the script to talk to an SMS API via FIlemaker Server's scripting function.

SMS Provider usually provides 2 types of API for interface, namely HTTP API and SMTP API. Since FM Server Script does not support Open URL, you are not able the HTTP API. Instead , you can use the SMTP API to send your sms. This is simple to do as it is like sending a normal email except that your email body must conform to the format set by your provider. You should check with your provider for the email format

Hope this help

The SMTP API does not really provide good enough message status information so I would prefer to use HTTP. Is this not possible using solely Filemaker/Filemaker server?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose that would be OK. So therefore would it simply be a case of using the open URL script step? Would it be able to retrieve values from the API? e.g. message status.

This topic is 4578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.