Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Social Security Number Format

This topic is 4562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

See if this one helps

http://www.briandunning.com/cf/41

BTW, you can't make a Custom Function without the Advance Edition of FileMaker, however unless the CF is recursive, they can be used in a regular calculation field.

Lee

I totally agree, Barbara, and same holds true for other sensitive data such as credit card numbers. I have worked on solutions solving other issues and I've seen this type of data unprotected. It is not the Developer's responsibility, however ... it is the businesses' responsibility to allow those protections be built in. It is our responsibility to point out the dangers when we see them; best done in writing for everyone's protection.

Many newer Developers might not consider these issues so thank you for mentioning it here!

Need to capture SS#s for patient profiles...any suggestins about how to 'mask' them? I have security levels already in place for allowing only those who have the need to see them to see them...

Dr.L~

"Need to capture SS#s for patient profiles." Why?

RLA rule is enough, but I'd hide sensitive fields in a tab panel that only a script will allow the proper account to nav to. You could also have a button that pops a window (again with validations).

any suggestins about how to 'mask' them? I have security levels already in place for allowing only those who have the need to see them to see them...

Not sure what you mean here. Any field that the user has no privilege to view will be automatically "masked" by a <No Access> label.

I thought Dr. L meant that, when an authorized User was data-entering or viewing. I have seen sensitive data up on screen before which could be seen from 10 feet away by customers in a waiting room, LOL.

This topic is 4562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.