Instant Web Publishing

This topic is 7744 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Are buttons in a database supposed to work online? I have the standard button switches layout concept employed in a database. I published the database on our intranet. These buttons do not work when accessed from a browser. Using FMPro 5.0.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what your "standard button switches layout concept" is, but here's something which should help.

If you're are doing custom pages, you'll have to create a button in your html file whose action is to query the filemaker database. It's similar to submission of a form.

There are really only two ways of talking to the database, either through a <form> tag (or custom button with an action like a form),or through an anchor <a> tag.

Here's an example from the CDML reference:

**Find a record using a link**

<a href="FMPro?-DB=db.fp5&-Format=rslt.htm&country=USA&-Max=1&-Find">Find first USA record</a>

**Find some records using a form action**

<form action="FMPro" method="post">

<input type="hidden" name="-DB" value="names.fp5">

<input type="hidden" name="-Format" value="results.htm">

<input type="hidden" name="-Max" value="all">

<input type="text" size=12 name="Country" value="USA">

<input type="submit" name="-Find" value="Find Records">

</form>

So make your buttons post with "FMPro" as the action.

Hope this helps.

LS

• Newbies

With instant publishing, one does not create any html with FMP 5.0. FileMaker Pro 5.0 will create instant web pages that look exactly like the layout one designs in FMP 5.0. Buttons in the layout appear in the web page, however, they do not appear to be functional. I would like to know how I can make them functional in the web page without writing any HTML/CDML.

Thanks.

Only buttons that perform "go to layout" translate onto the web. If the button performs anything even remotely more useful, it won't work.

• 1 year later...

Another question on this line of thought....

My buttons will only work under specific groups/passwords.

I've gone into File/Access Privileges and selected the layouts I want accessible for one group/password - let's call it "group C". Groups A&B work fine... Buttons don't work with group C.

Any thoughts? I have all options turned on for my "group C"... except create/edit/delete record. They do not need that capability.

Help.....

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere I read in a post that with IP it's best to have a button do a Perform Script - then build short scripts with the limited set of script statements allowed with IWP. I'm using FMP 6 and this seems to work - as long as I am careful to use only the script statements supported by IWP - covered in the documentation. The list was expanded from 5.5 to 6.

This topic is 7744 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.