Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Windows 8 on ARM

This topic is 4399 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Windows is about to be ported to ARM processors. Will Filemaker produce a version run on it?

I suspect they will be reluctant to do so as it would help the Windows 8 tablets compete with the iPad. However Apple, 100% owner of Filemaker, might find itself in ant-trust territory if it were not to do so.

Personally, if a W8 tablet were powerful enough then only thing holding me back would be the ability to run FM. I have already moved to a lightweight laptop with 1080p screens at both my locations. A lighter and cheaper option than a the desktop replacement laptop I had before. If I could get even lighter for travel I would,

Norman

The notion that Apple takes part in running FMI or that FMI considers the interests of its parent company in its decisions, is not supported by any evidence that I know of.

I'm pleased to hear that. A little surprised, but pleased.

Provided MS do the port correctly then there might be no need for FMI to produce an ARM specific FMP. Current specifications to run FMP on Windows do not specify the processor, except a minimum speed.

Provided MS do the port correctly then there might be no need for FMI to produce an ARM specific FMP. Current specifications to run FMP on Windows do not specify the processor, except a minimum speed.

I presume Filemaker is mainly coded in C++. If it were to be entirely done in C/C++ it would, in theory, need at least a recompile using a compiler for the target platform. It would not surprise me if there were some parts of it that are further hand coded. Those bits would need a rewrite for the target. So, your assertion is unlikely to be true meaning that Filemaker Inc would have to take a decision to do it or not.

I assume they don't specify a processor for Windows as all processors running Windows for many years have been Intel x86 or compatible derivatives.

I have somehow stumbled upon this, and thought it would be relevant here:

For one thing, the new OS will be backwards compatible with Windows 7, so it will run all existing Windows 7 applications, Microsoft's Sinofsky announced.

All apps developed for Windows 8 will run on both x86 and ARM (Nasdaq: ARMHY) platforms

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/73273.html

Metro-style applications will run across all Win 8 devices, and those that are built with JavaScript, C #, XAML or

HTML

5 "will run on ARM chips," Sinofsky announced.

I still have some doubts. Filemaker has not been notable in conforming to Windows interface norms. The above quote taken from the link you gave. It implies that non Metro-style applications will be allowed. Indeed, the fact that all Windows 7 apps will run confirms this. So, will Filemaker 12 (?) be Metro-style on Windows 8? I cannot see how existing Filemaker 11 can run on a computer that uses a different instruction set. Unless there is some kind of emulation layer à la Rosetta to be included with Windows 8 on ARM. That would make it so slow no one would want it.

The way I read this (and I am by no means expert on the subject), FMP 11 will run in Win 8 on x86. If FMI ever produce a new version for Win 8, it should run on ARM too (I am not sure it must be a Metro-style application, though). I don't think we had a definite answer regarding FMP 11 on ARM.

• 3 months later...

This:

.. customers won't be able to install their existing PC apps on Windows RT tabs.

comes from here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/17/windows_8_package_confusion/

So, Microsoft has decided to to hobble Windows 8 on ARM to such an extent that is not even called Windows 8 anymore.

Unless Filemaker produces a specific version for ARM pads we won't be using FM on them. Of course, we don't know yet what the hackers will allows us to do.

This topic is 4399 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.