Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Suppress 'Quit' ?

Saubs

This topic is 4449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

Is it not possible to suppress/disable the FileMaker Pro>Quit FileMaker Pro command in a particular layout? I'm developing a solution that has several modal/popup data entry layouts and it would be bad if the user quit FileMaker before the data entry was properly committed and certain housekeeping tasks could run. Do you suggest I install an OnLayoutExit trigger that could intervene (assuming it would execute before the app quits)? Thanks very much for your suggestions and/or workarounds.

• 1 month later...

I'm working on a solution that needed to do something similar. I setup a script that would be performed on Closing. (Under File Options)

Show Custom Dialog ["Close Database";"Do you want to exit?"]

## Choices are No;Yes

If [Get(LastMessageChoice)=1]

Halt Script

Else

Close File [Current File]

End If

Not sure if this is the "right" way to do it, but it works for me.

I was quite surprised to see that this actually works. I was thinking it had to be

Show Custom Dialog ["Close Database";"Do you want to exit?"]

## Choices are No;Yes

If [Get ( LastMessageChoice ) = 1]

Exit Script [Result: 0]

End If

Apparently Halt Script is the same as Exit Script with result 0. At least in this situation.

I know that, but I was not aware that Halt Script also cancels the triggering event.

I don't think it does. It sounds like that script was used in a Custom Menu to replace the File > Close option. That caused the command to be completely over-ridden by the script, unlike an OnLayoutExit script trigger.

I setup a script that would be performed on Closing. (Under File Options)

silly me; I didn't read the post thoroughly. I assumed it was in the custom menu.

I also hadn't realized that the "run when closing" script responds to the script result; closing the file if the script result is empty or true. I don't think of this as a 'script trigger', considering it has existed in FileMaker for quite some. I think of a 'script trigger' as the the recent addition of layout and field level triggers (introduced in FM 10, I believe). Nonetheless, it is a script trigger.

Apparently Halt Script is the same as Exit Script with result 0. At least in this situation.

I wasn't aware of this either. I tested with a few other script triggers, and it works the same with them as well.

This topic is 4449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.