Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom message for 'file damaged' state?

This topic is 4320 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I deploy runtime solutions to my customers who have no idea what to do if they encounter a 'file damaged' condition with the instruction to use 'file recovery'.

What I would like to do is trap the condition and provide a custom instruction.

Now they call paniced, I give them the simple instruction, and life is good in a few minutes.

Can I trap and provide the message when the runtime encounters 'file damaged'?

It's a bit hard because the message will be generated from INSIDE the file, and FMP is telling the user that the file cannot be opened.

It would be great if there were a file option to specify your own message to be displayed when FM can't open the file!

It's a bit more complex than it looks: the file needs to phone-ahead to the FMP application and say "You're about to open my file, here is the message you should display if you cannot open it because it's damaged."

To do this, use an "opener" file that opens the real file. In the script in the opener file trap for the file damaged error and issue your warning if the file cannot be opened.

Just in case the opener file ever gets damaged, use another opener file to open the opener file to open the real file.

Rinse and repeat.

I should have thought of that!

Already use an 'opener' file. Just need to capture the error. I'll risk that the opener file doesn't get damaged! It never has in 8 years - so far.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

This topic is 4320 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.