Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMSA 12 and container files - won't display contents

This topic is 4342 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Howdy,

First, this solution works as a stand-alone file on my desktop. Yet, when I upload it to the server it does not. I have a container field that holds a PDF. I have a layout with the container field on it. When I open the layout FileMaker churns for 30+ seconds then comes back with a message in the container field "This program cannot display the webpage."

I know the PDF is on the server because I can "export field contents" to a file on my desktop and view it. This isn't a work-around because the solution is server hosted and PC environment variables (%username% or %userprofile%) don't seem to work in a script step. Therefore, I can't create a temporary file on the user's computer to view the file... Nonetheless it's odd that it would work on my desktop and not on the server.

post-84353-0-46891200-1337871811_thumb.p

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PC environment variables (%username% or %userprofile%) don't seem to work in a script step. Therefore, I can't create a temporary file on the user's computer to view the file...

Don't expect those Windows variables to work. But FM has its own get functions to return those for you, check them out. You can easily create a folder anywhere based on them with some Send Event script step fired Windows OS commands.

The FM get(temporaryPath) will actually create a temp folder inside the user's profile temp path for the duration of the script. Just be aware that the folder and its contents are deleted when the scripts ends

When I open the layout FileMaker churns for 30+ seconds then comes back with a message in the container field "This program cannot display the webpage."

And that's on the same workstation that you had the local file on? If it is not I would suspect a config problem on that machine that opens the hosted file.

If it is the same machine: are you using the new "interactive" toggle on that container field?

Wim,

Thanks for your response. I'll check out the FM script steps. But really, I shouldn't have to. It should work as advertised without going through the brain damage of creating a script to work around this problem, right?

Yes, it's the same workstation. And yes, I clicked the "interactive content" radio button in the inspector. I don't know of any other way to get a PDF to display in a container field.

Again, many thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who cares, here's the solution:

Create two new rules in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. One is for UDP port 16000 and the other is for TCP port 16000. The FileMaker Server rule with "All Ports" doesn't seem to cut it.

Basically click New Rule > Port > TCP/UDP > Specific Local Port = 16000 > Allow the Connection > Choose your profile (domain, private, public) and then name it something clever.

This topic is 4342 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.