Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker 11 startup is stuck at "Auto Update"

This topic is 4313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using Filemaker 11 with Filemaker Server 11. We have a mix of Windows 7 and Windows XP computers. For this situation it happens on Windows 7 computers.

I have been having problems starting Filemaker . It shows the splash screen and at the bottom of the screen is usually flashes through all the fonts or items being loaded. Recently on my co=workers computers, it has been stopping at "AutoUPdate". It refuses to go further. after half hour still at Auto Update. I have to use Task Manager to end the process.

I have logged off that person and logged on as a different user. Filemaker starts up fine! therefore something wrong with that user's profile(?).

I ended up uninstalling Filemaker and re-installing it. Repair did not work.

I didn't think twice about it until ANOTHER user complained of the same symptoms! I'm worried that it's gonna happen to the other 50 computers on my network.

Anyone know what causes this problem? and what the solution could be?

I was hoping that the Server Software can configure the clients to turn off Auto Update. is that possible?

I looked in the forums but couldn't find this particular problem. If I missed it please send me a link

Thanks in Advance.

There is a server setting to allow clients to download plugins, but what you described sounds more like a client-side problem. For starters, you could simply remove the AutoUpdate plugin from the FileMaker extensions folder and see what happens.

• Like 1

Lee, I just said it sounded like a client-side problem, and you move the topic to FMS?

Both of you are Moderators and have the authority to move a topic, if you feel it would be better off in a different topic area, then go ahead and move it.

Please don't put it back in the general topic area, because it does't belong there.

Lee

It's not clear to me where to move this topic. I don't know how we'd expect a non-moderator to figure it out.

Fitch. I'm going to try removing the plug-in.

After having 2 computers have these issues in 2 days, no other computers have had this problem <sigh> It just happens randomly. But I will keep this in mind if I have this issue again. Thanks for all your help.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm happy to say that it has NOTHING to do with Filemaker's notification of going to Version 12.

It turns out it has to do with the new printer we installed. If you replace a printer and not delete it from the computer, Windows 7 takes forever looking for the old printer. My Tech did the printer installation, so I'm not sure what steps he did (other than NOT deleting the old printers). I'm not sure why he wouldn't delete the old printers since he's installing a new printer :(

Thanks for your help.

This topic is 4313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.