Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Detecting records with bad spelling

This topic is 4359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've tried looking for this on the site but so far couldn't find the response, here it goes...

I have a big list of records which I broke every single word and created a dictionary of unique words in all the records, omitted everything that has numbers or special characters, so only words were created.

This is where I'm stuck, I need to identify in a new field if the word is wrong spelled, in other words, if there's a red line in the word I need to be able to identify it, but not correct it, just tag the record, so based on some criteria later on we can integrate those words into the dictionary.

Is there any way I can capture this with filemaker?

Thanks in advance

I would love to have a solution to this for you and me.. however, if I needed to tackle this job I would try 2 things.

1) 2 tables of words, mispelled and correctly spelled. and a script trigger to check when your field is typed into... if it is mispelled, change the color of the text or something, etc..

2) I would use the web viewer and a java script like this one :http://www.javascriptspellcheck.com/ and send the data back and forth for checking...

I dont know if either of these helps but. its my 2 cents..

if anyone knows a better way or some way to use filemakers spell check I would love to hear it..

I have a big list of records which I broke every single word and created a dictionary of unique words in all the records, omitted everything that has numbers or special characters, so only words were created.

Hi Elkpodemiami :)

Why? It seems like you are wanting to create a Main dictionary! If your purpose is to control which words are acceptable, it might be easier for a designated person to run a script and accept or ignore new words using spell check. By using a specific user.upr file, words can be added or removed. You can even import to it and/or export the user.upr for someone to correct it then re-import. Spell check (even scripted) does have its limits agreed, requiring user intervention as it moves through each record and it does not produce error code when it comes to a misspelled word so you can't capture the spell-check evaluation itself.

You CAN use relationship to compare words in a field/record to another table of words only and know whether the main record has a word that is not in the word list but I am not sure that is what you want either, since I cannot envision the purpose of this request. Can you fill us in a bit more? Why are you creating a word list and why are you eliminating numbers and characters?

Spell check (even scripted) does have its limits agreed, requiring user intervention as it moves through each record and it does not produce error code when it comes to a misspelled word so you can't capture the spell-check evaluation itself.

That is all I was trying to figure out, if I could detect the misspelled word through an error code or a function allowing me to just tag the record, This project was not intended to correct or add words into the spell checker, What I'm doing basically is breaking a sentence on a field into single words on each records in a table and creating unique records on another table with each word, this is for web publishing, to insert keywords, etc... So we could make a list of words that should go on Upper, on Lower, or special words with special parameters.

Here's an idea which might get you moving a bit (in v12). It creates calculation which turns your sentence into multiline of words. Then relationship would be:

mainTable::newMultilineCalc = wordsTable::word

Then calc in main table (result is number) as:

WordCount ( sentence) ≠ ValueCount ( List ( words::word ) )

... will produce a 1 if word does not exist. But no, spell check is a bit weak when it comes to scripting, sorry.

Oh, I forgot - are there words in your sentences which you want to ignore? If you have a table of those words (special characters, numbers etc?) you might wish to use a custom function which can iterate through the words, removing numbers and special characters before producing a multiline of the results.

If you would like help with that portion of it, we need to more fully understand your rules on what should be removed. :^)

spelling.zip

Edited by LaRetta

This topic is 4359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.