Distributing databases over the internet

This topic is 8387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am unable to get any usable information from Filemaker on the following question:

We want to distribute databases across a company intranet which is web based. To save the time and expense of rewriting all 22 databases in CDML or XML is the solution to use an application server such as Microsoft Terminal Services. I have seen this work with one of our bound databases, but that would only allow a single person to access it at a time. I we want to run Filemaker pro on an application server (Termianl Services??) allowing 10-20 people to access at a time, which version of Filemaker should we use, and what happens about licenses.

Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction.

Chris

[ May 02, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Wood ]

If you are intending to serve your FMPro db's over your intranet via a browser solution, then you will need to write format files. Format files are html files which contain cdml tags. Using this type of solution, you will probably need only one copy of FileMaker Pro.

If you are intending to serve you FMPro db's over your intranet via direct hosting, then each machine will need to have a licensed copy of FileMaker.

No matter which course of action you take, be aware that multi-user demands on ScriptMaker scripts can cause problems.

SIMPLIFY ...

Keith M. Davie

If people are accessing databases through FMP clients, scripts are run on the client machine, not the host. So there is no possibility for "clashes."

This topic is 8387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.