Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dropbox for backup, read-only FMP file?

This topic is 4330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everyone,

We have our database webhosted by Foxtail Tech, but we will occasionally need to access the database in locations with no internet access (gasp!). If I were to download a back-up of our database, and place it in Dropbox, would another single user be able to access that file as a read-only file? We would not be making any data-entry or edits to the Dropbox file, it would be solely used as reference material (so there should not be any file conflicts).

Does anyone know why this solution may or may or may not work? I know that Dropbox is not a sustainable solution for sharing a FMP db, and that is not what we are doing. We do have a dedicated webhost, but want an offline access method as well. All comments appreciated. Thank you!

And with no internet access, you would access Dropbox how?

Dropbox will regularly update itself while in internet access range, and keep the most recent copy of the database accessible later when offline, unlike accessing the FMP through the internet host, which would require online access. Because the rate of our updates is not terribly rapid, it will be suitable to have read-only access to a week-old copy of the db. Does this sound like a reasonable plan, or are there problems accessing back-up DBs from Dropbox?

If the file kept on Dropbox is itself a proper backup file (through Filemaker's backup procedure) then it will just be a FileMaker file, and should be able to be opened in FileMaker. It will be a full version of the file, so not read-only. The same as if you copied it onto a USB key and then loaded that file...

If the file kept on Dropbox is itself a proper backup file (through Filemaker's backup procedure) then it will just be a FileMaker file, and should be able to be opened in FileMaker. It will be a full version of the file, so not read-only. The same as if you copied it onto a USB key and then loaded that file...

That would be fine. The user will just know not to input new data into the file. So you think that the file should be stable on Dropbox and be openable in the normal way? I have read others warn against the instability of using FMP dbs in Dropbox, but I'm not sure if that is just due to the inherent dangers in simultaneously making edits on the same file from multiple computers, or if there is a basic problem with Dropbox and FMP (like there is with Quickbooks, for example). Thanks for your response.

The challenge is that each user has their own copy of the file. Let's call that "file0".

User1 opens file0 in dropbox and makes some changes. We now have file1.

User2 opens file0 in dropbox and makes changes. We now have file2.

Dropbox synchs User2's file2 because it's the most recent. User1's copy of the file, file1, and all it's changes are deleted and replaced with file2.

I have read others warn against the instability of using FMP dbs in Dropbox, but I'm not sure if that is just due to the inherent dangers in simultaneously making edits on the same file from multiple computers...

When dropbox is being used, there are "no simultaneous edits on the same file" because each user has their own copy of the file. The challenge then becomes sorting out these multiple copies.

Let's say we have 2 users and a database on dropbox called "file0". Right now each user has an exact copy of file0.

User1 opens file0 in dropbox and makes some changes. User1 now has file1. It will take time for dropbox to sync this to all users and it won't sync it while the file is open. User1 closes the file.

User2 opens file0 in their dropbox and makes some changes. User2 now has file2. User2 closes the file.

Dropbox synchs User2's file2 because it's the most recent. User1's copy of the file and all it's changes are deleted and replaced with file2.

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for your response. I guess I haven't been clear about the proposed procedure. We have our database web hosted, which will be the primary mode of use - so that's working fine for multiple users. When one user has to go off the grid, I will put a backup copy in Dropbox, that he can refer to it JUST for reference purposes. He will not be making edits to the file, just reading contact info when necessary. So NO multiple versions or multiple edits. We will use dropbox just so that he can see the info in the database when he is not online. When he gets back to internet access, he can access the database as usual via our hosting provider. So, unless I'm missing something else, hopefully this will allow us offline access, and we will not run into the problems you elucidated above. Thank you!

This topic is 4330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.