Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Novice help for relationships and layouts

Skiffy

This topic is 4278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm attempting to create a database to store id documents for people in a multi-departmental firm for anti-money laundering purposes.

People can belong to more than one client files. Client files can have more than one person. People can have more than one piece of id.

As I see it, I have a one to many relationship between people and id and a many to many relationship between people and client files. So I have created a join table to handle that. I may not have the relationship mapped out correctly though. Or perhaps it's the field settings.

Additionally, I don't understand how to create a layout that will allow the user to make the connection between the person and the client file. I have zipped the empty database along with my rudimentary attempts at some layouts. The searching seems to work well enough, as does some aspect of the layout which has portals to existing data, but I don't know how to enable the user to add new data.

I would certainly appreciate any assistance.

Many thanks,

Skiffy

KYC Copy.fmp12.zip

Oops! I think the file that you attached is password protected. So, can't see what you have there.

But I'll take a crack at it. I'm attaching a file with my guess as to what you are looking for. For that purpose you will need to create a couple of additional tables. Take a look at the file and if you need further explanations, I'd be more than happy to explain.

(..and this is my first post here )

KVC-01.zip

Still protected but guest has full access... :smile:

So Skifty, I'm uploading the same file, a little modified. Check out the layout 'People' where I added a portal where you can add and delete Client Matter records that the person belongs to. The adding is done using the script 'New Client Matter for Person'. There's also one more script, part of the previous adding a portal record sequence: 'Select Client'. I have also added the 'Matter Files Selection List' layout.

But one important thing though. On your original file (not this that I uploaded), check the relationships and the "delete related records in this table..." from "Join -> Matter files". And the "Allow creation of records..." Keep them unchecked! The same with "Join ->People" relationship.

The part where you add multiple indentifications for the individual person can be accomplished in a similar fashion.

KYC Clone -20120809.zip

Thanks again Lazarus. Our IT manager is out until next Monday and he seems to have applied some passwording that I cannot change. I'm going to have a thorough look at what you've sent and try to bend my head around it to see if it will meet our needs. Should do! You are very kind to offer assistance. I need to learn this programme but not sure where I can go for some training. Nothing offered here in Bermuda of course!

This topic is 4278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.