Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scroll in lists

This topic is 3906 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

At the moment I use a simple database and made it possible via IWP to publish it on the web.

All seems to work fine. Well almost.

When i see the records in list view I can not scroll through all the items.

I only see 24 records, but when I want to scroll up or down to see the rest, it is not possible.

Is there a way to get the scrolling to work?

Or am I dong something wrong?

For the info, I use FM11 for this.

Cheers

Koen

If you do use a portal instead of list view, be aware of how many records the portal returns, because every single record in the portal needs to be downloaded (on every page load) before the user can view the page. This is different than when using the FileMaker Pro client, which downloads portal records as you scroll through them (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this).

ok thanks so far.

But now a challenge with the portal.

I have a list of all the records in my portal. (just created a new table (table B ), with one record in it and one field, and linked that field with a field of the first table (tableA))

Now I would like it, that I can click on a portal item and change view to se the details of that item.

In list view I just had to say - Goto Layout Details

But now this goto layout command does not work.

Example:

So if I click in the portal on item 10 I would like to switch layout to see details about item 10.

In list view its just a layout switch, but not in the portal system.

Any help?

Cheers

Koen

Koen, I automatically have 4 scripts that I add to every IWP solution.

Prev1, Prev25, Next25, Prev1

With obvious script steps to go to the record by number (+1 or +25 for NEXT). You can trap to verify that there are enough records to go 25 more (or less), if you desire. Add buttons to every LIST layout (and to form layouts if you desire) with these scripts attached. You've given your users the ability to navigate IF you hide the status bar.

HTH,

Beverly

• Like 1

@dan - "which downloads portal records as you scroll through them" . There was a white paper or webinar on wan optimization that directly addressed such under the hood behavior. I've got to find it....Anyway, I don't believe that this is correct. It might be that it loads ALL related records in a portal if the relationship or portal is sorted. I'll try to find the white paper/webinar link

Edit: Found it. It was Mark Richmond of Skeleton Key's webinar "Developing for Max WAN Performance". It's on TechNet.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This topic is 3906 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.