Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Emails via SMTP not sending

Matt Malyschko

This topic is 4249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am having problems with my script that is to send emails automatically after a purchase is completed.

The problem I am having is: some times the email will send, yet some times it wont. No error is given, and I cannot think of any reasons as to why it would send occasionally, but not every time. Nothing changes between the calls to this script.

Has anybody experienced anything similar to this before?

Cheers.

If it sends sometimes and doesn't send other times (and you're not doing anything differently in triggering the sending), it's probably the email server. Odd that it doesn't throw an error, though. Do you have error capture on? Try using a different email server?

I have a solution that uses a gmail account to send pdfs. Sometimes it doesn't go through using the main email account so I have it try a secondary email account if a send error occurs.

According to this thread there is a problem with the Send Mail via SMTP script step. The from: address in the header is generated incorrectly which makes some ISPs reject the message. The reject notice doesn't come back because the from: address is incorrect.

According to this thread there is a problem with the Send Mail via SMTP script step. The from: address in the header is generated incorrectly which makes some ISPs reject the message. The reject notice doesn't come back because the from: address is incorrect.

After reading this quote from that thread:

I wouldn't use FileMaker's SMTP as it is a known issue that filemaker does not properly format the header which results in many email providers like HotMail and GMail rejecting the emails or at the vary least sending them straight to the spam folder. We have been waiting for a fix for a long time with no word. The problem essentially renders FileMaker's SMTP useless for us.

I would say that this issue was either fixed in v2 or that guy is trying to use a home email server with the FM SMTP send script which will result in blocks and spam folder forwards from major email providers (like gmail and hotmail). You will need to use a commercial email smtp server (like smtp.gmail.com) as an email from your IP (residential or enterprise) is marked to be spammed or blocked by default.

OR If you'd like to use your own server, you will need to set up Reverse DNS for your email server and SPF for your domain.

My solution sends 75-100 emails per day to various recipients (on various domains including gmail and hotmail) through smtp.gmail.com and my receivers never have had (or, at least, never have reported to me) an email end up in spam or blocked.

This topic is 4249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.