Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sync Floating Document Window with same record as Launch Window

This topic is 4207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello

What is the best way to keep a floating document window on the same record as it's launch window when both windows are based on the same table?

Also, is there any way to get the Floating Document Window to work in an expected way with Windows 7? It does not seem to be possible to work in both the floating window and the main window with the main window maximized and the floating window kept to specific dimensions.

Thank you

What is a "floating document window?"

On Windows, you cannot create a new window without affecting the background window's size if the background window is maximized. The typical work-around is to size the window to be just smaller than max. Use Resize to Fit.

I really don't understand your scenario. You want the user to have two windows and always have them looking at the same record? Hmm...I don't think it's straightforward. I'd assume that navigation would need to close the floating window and reopen it after the record switch.

Kiwiora, it seems the requirement is more complicated than that. I understood the need to have two windows open at once, and as he changed the record in Window1, he wanted to update Window2 to be on the same record. Perhaps I jumped to conclusions.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer:

"I ended up having it go to the same record number in the second window"

..and you did this, how?

To explain what I'm doing a little, the second window is a Calculator that allows a user to click on fields in the first window, sets a global text field to add the field name so the user can build calculations. A second field then evaluates the calculation for each record. This calculator floats as the top window until closed. Navigation is only in the first window, but there's nothing stopping a user from performing a find or sorting in the second window.

What I did to sync the windows:

When the second window is launched, a variable is set to indicate it is open.

The main window has an OnRecordLoad script trigger that checks for the variable to see if the second window is open.

If so, Item number (key field) and Record number variables are set.

The second window then goes to the same record number as the main window and checks to make sure the item number is the same as the main window.

If the Item number is not the same, the second window closes and reopens.

In the case that a user performs a find or sort in the second window, I added a sync button on the second window.

In the first window, put the current record's primary key into a global field. Base a self-join relationship on this global field. In the second window use a single-row portal to the self-join to display the related record (which will always be the same record that's in the first window, though it might need a refresh to display). Use a onRecordLoad script trigger in the first window to update the global field when the record changes.

The portal in the second window probably won't be needed, just put the related fields on the layout.

This topic is 4207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.