naive dwindling list

Aussie John

This topic is 4239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi I had hoped to make a simple dwindling list to insert a 'number' extracted from list of numbers (a calculation). Obviously it needs to be more complex than i had thought. I have attached a file for info if anyone would like to help. cheers

test.zip

hi comment. The purpose is to select an unused clause number in a minuting system

number = the field I wish to enter a clause number in

Range = a list of numbers to choose from (calculation)

Number used = a list of clause numbers already selected (calculation)

in the file, range is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 I have already chosen 1 and 2 and want a pulldown to show the remaining numbers in the range.

The basic reason for this is; as minute actions are completed the clause is hidden and i don't wish to duplicate a number in a new minute.

I have already chosen 1 and 2 and want a pulldown to show the remaining numbers in the range.

In your file, you have already chosen 1 and 2 in the same field of the same record. Which field would have the pulldown attached to it? Why would 1 and 2 be selected in one field and 3 (or 4 or 5 etc.) in another?

In your file, you have already chosen 1 and 2 in the same field of the same record. Which field would have the pulldown attached to it? Why would 1 and 2 be selected in one field and 3 (or 4 or 5 etc.) in another?

Sorry it isnt clear - only the Field called 'number' will have the pulldown (it is there - just isn't working). This is also the only field to be edited. As far as I can see each record just has one digit in the field 'number'.

I think the confusion comes from the field 'range' also having a pulldown associated with it - which it shouldn't. The third field 'numbers used' just shows a list of the number to be excluded from the list in 'range'. cheers

I have a feeling you are trying to simplify this - and it only makes things more complicated, because we don't know which limitations are real. You say that both Range and NumbersUsed are calculations - but we don't know how they will be calculated, and - most importantly - can these calculation be stored?

Off-hand, I'd say it would be best to have the "range" as records in a dedicated table. Than you can use a ≠ relationship to exclude specific values.

This topic is 4239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.