Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Importing from Filemaker to Filemaker using SQL query

This topic is 4161 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A few months ago, I was introduced to SQL queries, and have been using them quite a bit recently (including the ExecuteSQL function.  I think it's my new best friend!)

However, as is often the case with a new tool in my repertoire, I'm suddenly seeing everything in the context of "Oooh, this would be *simple* to do as an SQL query!".

Because of that, I'm finding myself on a regular basis wanting to import records from one Filemaker table (or database) into another using an SQL query, but I can't figure out how to do this.  The ExecuteSQL function seems to be wonderful for pulling data into a field in a table, but I'm needing to actually import new records.

I'm finding references to setting up Filemaker as an ODBC data source, but I can't quite figure out how to do this.

Is this even possible to do?  If so, can someone point me in the right direction to be able to implement this?

Thanks!

Nope, FM can not be an ODBC data source for another FM file.  You could just use the ExecuteSQL and parse out the result into new records... Or a faster approach if your files are hosted: export from the source file to CSV, import that into the other file.  That's going to be faster than parsing.

"import records from one Filemaker table (or database) into another"

I'm curious as to why you feel that you need to do this. Typically, duplicating data across tables is a sign of poor design.

"import records from one Filemaker table (or database) into another"

I'm curious as to why you feel that you need to do this. Typically, duplicating data across tables is a sign of poor design.

Very valid question....  so instead of answering the question, let's get into why you need data from one  FM file into the other one...

Very valid question....  so instead of answering the question, let's get into why you need data from one  FM file into the other one...

In this particular instance, I need a self-contained database that will be distributed to people for use on an iPad while at a trade show.  I cannot point them to the main data file that is on a Filemaker 12 server, because that server is only accessible from our internal network, not everyone has cellular iPads, and a wi-fi connection cannot be assumed at the trade show.  

So, what I'm trying to do is grab summary data so they can have some quick reports at their fingertips during the tradeshow.

This topic is 4161 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.