Java Version

This topic is 4011 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am experimenting with the demo versions of 360Works Email and Remote Scripter plugins but keep getting the following dialogs when starting FMP12 Adv:

Error starting Java

360Works plugins require Java 1.5 or later, which is not installed on this computer. Download it from http://www.java.com (error 1)

I've upgraded to the available version (1.6x) from Java and also tried the Apple Java download but nothing seems to affect getting the error message. When running the version check in the terminal, I get:

java version "1.6.0_37"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

I suppose this might be caused by needing the 32 bit version but I don't know how to get back to it.

Thanks,

John

• 3 weeks later...

Open up the Java Preferences.app in your Utilities folder, you should see two Java versions, a 32-bit and a 64-bit.  If you drag the 32-bit version to the top of the list it will load first.  You can confirm in Terminal with "java -version" (although it doesn't say it's the 32-bit, it is).  You can also launch it from the terminal with "java -version -d32".  This solved an issue I had with a not up to date SuperContainer Companion plugin running on 10.6.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello!

We have fixed this error happening with our plug-ins for Mac machines, but the Windows fix is still waiting to be released. Usually this problem is seen on Windows XP machines because the Java Virtual Machine where we run our plug-in code can't be created due to a lack of memory. The error message about "Java 1.5 or later" not being installed is poorly worded on our part. Basically the code sees that no JVM is available and assumes that Java is not installed.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected], and I can send you a preview build of the corresponding Windows plug-ins. You can test which of our plug-ins are causing the error by removing all plug-ins and trying to start FileMaker with each plug-in installed separately.

Thanks!

This topic is 4011 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.