Multi-process tasks????

Xas

This topic is 8547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by zasuwa:

IN MULTIUSER MODE: Can fmpro handle more than one task at a time? If one user starts a query, why does EVERYONE have to wait until it's done before the next one starts?:

You can vastly improve performance by detecting collision requests, like in Ethernet :-)

If 2 users have the same request, which will take up to 7 seconds for 1 machine, it will take around 35 seconds to do the first from 2x7sec job.

With 3 simultaneous requests it will be 40-60seconds.

If you delay second request by 2 seconds, it will be 7+2+7+2+7 in worst case.

Server will improve on everything, especially NT one.

[This message has been edited by Anatoli (edited December 06, 2000).]

Thanks, I am using fmpro 4.0 with web companion. I want multi-threaded

performance and can't get it.

My database is so big because my patients have tons of lab and treatment data. Primarily numbers.

I know FMPro 5 (WITHOUT) web-companion is multi-threaded using the FMPro Server -

but is it really true that web-companion does NOT multi-thread?: AND NEVER WILL?

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by zasuwa:

I know FMPro 5 (WITHOUT) web-companion is multi-threaded using the FMPro Server -

but is it really true that web-companion does NOT multi-thread?: AND NEVER WILL?

It is not so much a problem with Web Companion, but the fact that the FMP and FMP Unlimited are single-threaded applications.

I would doubt that FMP will ever become multi-threaded, but I am sure that FMP Unlimited will be come multi-threaded in later incarnations.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I will pray until that day comes. Until then - I have trimmed the database down, using the maximum ram, and limit advanced users to special aggregate, cross-database listing reports. Invidiual record retrieval is very fast - but asking 'how many patients have hemoglobulin > 15' causes a stall for other users unless I can compile the results quickly so they don't notice! PRAY with me!!!

------------------

Here is a quick for instance tip.

If "hemoglobulin > 15" is a relivant attribute, create an autoentered calculation for hemoGT15 (If hemoglobulin > 15, 1, "") that is calculated and stored once the hemoglobulin entry is made. This field can be indexed and will greatly speed any aggregate functions.

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

I thought that the only diference between crippled and unlimited was Web Companion.

Web Companion is included with both normal and Unlimited versions of FMP. The only difference is that FMP v5 only allows 10 unique IPs in a given time frame (I guess it is 12 hours), while Unlimited is unlimited.

Thanks for the tip on indexing a relevant variable - unfortunately in the human clinical environment - 'everything is relevant'. I figured out a strange thing about fmpro. When you add data it goes to the end of the file so everything new is harder to retreive. Takes longer to read. Also - related records pull the first record in the related file - which is probably the oldest and not recent. Every month I create an empty clone. Load the new records first and then import the old records. Presto - a perfectly sorted fast as hell database.

[This message has been edited by zasuwa (edited December 07, 2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

This is the reply I got from FmPro Tech Support:

> I'm sorry to say that no, Web Companion does not multi-thread its requests. The closest effect you can get to that is to use several copies of FileMaker Unlimited as guests of FileMaker Server in a RAIC configuration. But generally speaking, no, the web companion queues its multiple requests, it doesn't multi-thread them.

I hope this helps your decision-making.

>

> - Paul Mitchell

> FileMaker Tech Support

This topic is 8547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.