Value list trouble

Miami553

This topic is 4116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello....I am totally new to File maker coming over from ACCESS...I see that there are some things that are close to each other.

Well im having trouble getting the value lists to show what I need...not sure where to go..

what i have is this.

table LIfts:          LIft_ID                   Lift                        Lift Classification

1                 Bench Press                Horizontal push             

2                 Incline Press                Horizontal Push

3                 Power clean                 Explosive

4                 Squat                           Knee

And so on for 100 plus lifts...

Now each spot in the work out layout has a certain  lift class like explosive is all ways lift one..

How do i create different value list to contain only that classification,  

like a value list for Explosive lifts, knee lifts etc

I have one other table that is classifications which has    classification_ID, classification

classification_ID                     Classification

1                                       Explosive

2                                       Knee

3                                       Horizontal push

and so on

Thanks for any and all help while i'm learning

Greg

I could be totally wrong... but the way you are asking your question is difficult to understand, but it sounds to me that you need to investigate "relationships." This has a huge impact between databases and value lists. 

For example...

If you choose this option... only these values show.

• Newbies

Maybe i can clear up a little.. Here are the two tables that i have.

In the layout for table lifts you Type in the lift name and then choose the classification via drop down.

Now i have another table/layout which designs the work outs ( right side )

Now on the  workout layout LIFT 1 is all ways explosive, I need a value list just of EXPLOSIVE LIFTS ...

Lift 2 is all ways Knee Bilateral, so i need another value list of just those lifts for lift 2.....and so on for each drop down

Nothing is being entered for choice except 

For choosing the lift

I hope this helps

In ACCESS i wold just create a query on the Table Classification   class_ID field for class_ID 1 and would just get those lifts.

Than use that as my drop down.

I know this can be done in filemaker i just do not no how...

Table Classifications

Class_ID         Classification 

1                     Explosive                                                                                      table / layout

2                     Knee Bilateral                                    
 3                     Knee Unilateral                                                                 Explosive                                ( drop down menu ) choose from list
 4                     Hip Bilateral
 5                     Hip Unilateral                                                                    Knee Bilateral                         ( Drop down Menu ) choose from list
 6                     Horizontal Push Bilateral
 7                     Horizontal Push Unilateral                                                 Horizontal Push Unilateral
 8                     Vertical Push Bilateral
 9                     Vertical Push Unilateral                                                     Vertical Push Bilateral
10                    Horizontal Pull Bilateral
11                    Horizontal Pull Unilateral
12                    Rotational
13                    Core Stabilization

Table Lifts

LIft_ID           Lift                             Classification_ID
 1                  Power Clean                      1 
4                   Hang Clean                       1 
5                   Bench Press                      6 
6                   DB Bench Press                7 
7                   DB Military Press               9 
8                   Squat                                2 
9                   Front Squat                      2 
10                 Push Press                       1 
11                 DB Alternating Press        9 

This may not be exactly what your asking for - but this is one way to make the value lists for the classification change based on the chosen lift.

Typically I would employ a join table between class & lift, but this does essentially the same - but you need to enter all the allowable classifications return separated on the lift record.

ValueList.fmp12.zip

This topic is 4116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.