Using a Value List to Filter / Goto a Record

This topic is 4015 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I'm new to FM Forums so I hope i'm following all the correct rules and procedures of the site.

My Question: -

I'm an experienced Microsoft Access User and on a form you can add a 'Combo Box' or 'List Box' that will list all the records for that single form and when one is selected will take you straight to that record. I suppose in a way it's acting like a filter without the need to scroll through all the records on the form individually.

I've recently just purchased Filemaker 12 as required to develop a database for web use and trying to do a similar thing with a 'drop down list' on a layout.  i.e My table is called 'Primary Schools Directory', a layout has been created for this table and i have placed a 'drop down list' on the layout that lists all the records in the table/layout. I just want now to be able to select one of those records and it takes me straight to the record on the layout.  I don't want to do it via a portal, I understand how these work.

I have purchased the books 'FileMaker 12 Developer Reference' & 'FileMaker Pro 12 The Missing Manual' and so whilst I have a feeling it has somethig to do with 'Script Triggers' and 'Goto Record', after lots of reading and trying various scripts I just can't figure it out.

Please can anybody help?

Kind Regards

Steve 

A Script Trigger will do the trick - use OnObjectExit.

The script should use the drop down selection as a Script Parameter (you specify the field name as the script parameter), roughly:

Enter Find Mode

Set field <YourSearchField> = Get(ScriptParamter)

Perform Find

Please note that Script Triggers work differently on web enabled FileMaker to the way they do in the client and this technique won't work in Instant Web Publishing.

Hello Steve,

I do agree with IdealData that the functionality that you're looking for is FileMaker's Find. The technique of selecting a value from a drop down list, and using that value as criterion in a Find can be accomplished as Ideal explained. However, the drop down list should be attached to a global field (otherwise you are changing the value in the record).

To help you learn the lingo, when you say, "you can add a 'Combo Box' or 'List Box' that will list all the records for that single form," I'd like to clarify that records belong to tables, and "forms [layouts]" are views of those records. I haven't worked in Access in years, but FM has drop-down lists and popup menus, which are typically assigned Value Lists.

"My table is called 'Primary Schools Directory', a layout has been created for this table and i have placed a 'drop down list' on the layout that lists all the records in the table/layout." To me, the table should be called "Schools," although the layout can be called anything. Typically, developers name layouts for the table upon which they are based, so "SCHOOLS_dir" might be a candidate. I would probably have "SCHOOLS_form" and "SCHOOLS_list" and "SCHOOLS_find".

Is your drop-down list based on a global field in Schools and what value list is assigned to it?

Also, are you planning to use IWP? This interface to FM is a bit limited as compared to FM Client. Perhaps a simple button that puts the user in Find mode is all you need.

hth,

Barbara

Ideal Data / Barbara, thank you both for your replies and comments.

Ideal Data – Thank you for pointing out that Script Triggers won’t work in IWP.  I have purchased also however FileMaker Server 12 as I require more than 5 people to use the database at anyone time so I’m guessing this changes things a little?

Barbara – My table now renamed ‘Schools’ (thank-you), only has a primary key field not a global field.  The value list I created is based on the Schools table itself and using the value from a field in that table called ‘School Name’.  I am not familiar with global fields or how they may help me in this situation, however since you have asked the question they must be relevant so I will make a point of reading up on this tomorrow to both familiarise myself with and understand how global fields work.

As you have probably read above, no not planning on using IWP, have purchased FileMaker Server 12.  Not sure how much more interface functionality this will give my users but I am slowly working my way through my books so hopefully they will tell me a little more in time and I will come to fully understand it.

Kind Regards

Steve

IWP is not available in FileMaker Server 12 - you need FileMaker Server ADVANCED.

FMS does offer PHP/XML however.

You might also struggle without FileMaker Pro ADVANCED as this has developer level tools to debug scripts, create custom functions, analyse data during script processing etc..

FMSA is free if you join TechNet, it is restricted to 3 users for development purposes only, but I suggest you upgrade both FMP and FMS now.

You might qualify for educational pricing judging by the terminology in your post.

IdealData, I have not made myself clear, apologies.

My company have actually purchased an annual volume licence agreement the following: -

- Filemaker Pro 12 Adavanced

- Filemaker Server 12 Advanced

I know when I spoke to Filemaker enquiring about all this, they said that if I didn't purchase FMSA, users would need to purchase additonal licences to get full functionality at their end.

This is why I opted for FMSA and I gather from your kind advice above, I have done the correct thing.

Does this mean now that if I was to use (A Script Trigger - OnObjectExit) it would work, or am I best to still try and keep it simple as Barbara suggested?

Sorry about all the questions, I am trying my best to work this out for myself via my books.

Ooh the database I am developing by the way is for the Archdiocese of Liverpool, it will need to handle over 200 schools, projects carried out on those schools and over 30million pounds worth of funding that is allocated to the schools yearly by the Government necessary to carry out the projects.

Regards

Steve

"I've recently just purchased Filemaker 12 as required to develop a database for web use"

What do you mean by that? A user can access a served FM file (hosted on FM Server) several ways: FM Client, FMGo, IWP and thru a webpage front-end (CWP) created with PHP, for example.

What are you planning?

I'm new to FileMaker software and their products.  Having done as musch research as I could, I was led to believe that I would require FileMaker Pro 12 to develop/produce my database and Filemaker Server 12 Advanced to allow more than 5 users to access the database simultaneously.

Planning to develop a database as mentioned in my previous post with many oustide companies needing to access it in terms of inputting information etc.

Steve 

You really didn't answer my question. How will the users (especially the "outside companies") access the system? It sounds like you should sub-contract a FM developer, certainly for a project of this complexity.

FMSA will be installed on on the company's server and outside users will then access the system via a web-browser.  Does this help / answer your question? 

Having spoke with Filemaker and as explained on their web-site and in the books I have purchased all say I can do this.

Ah, now we get to the core of it, Steve. In order for users to access the system via a web browser, you have two choices: IWP and CWP.

Have you researched these approaches? IWP is FM's answer to a browser-based access without any coding. It has limitations, some that IdealData has already pointed out to you. CWP is creating a web-app front-end to FM, perhaps with PHP. Is this a skill that you have?

Hi bcooney, firstly thank-you for your replies and advice.... please bare with me I am trying to answer your questions to the best of my FM knowledge.

I am not familiar with creating a web-app front end to FM or PHP.  Having spoke direct with Filemaker prior to purchasing the software, in addition reading up on what their varius software types will / won't do.. I was advised that FM Pro 12 was what I required to creat the database and with this oustide users could access it via IWP albeit with limited functionality and upto only 5 users at anyone time.

However, if I purchased Filemaker Server Advanced that this would do all the work for me and allow over 100 users at anyone time to access my database via the web and an I.P address.  This is basically what it says on FM's website too and nothing about needing to develop a web-app front end for outside users to access it.

Kind Regards

Steve

Yes, IWP with FMS Advanced allows users to access a FM file via a browser. You are skimming over what I'm saying. There are two methods CWP and IWP. IWP is more limited, and you'll need to adjust your development techniques accordingly. See: http://buzz.beezwax.net/2011/04/15/filemaker-instant-web-publishing-part-i-is-iwp-right-for-you

OK sorry, now I see and understand what you are saying.. IWP is already there for you but gives users limited functionality.  CWP will give greater functionality but requires a web-app front end to be created and possibly using PHP.  OK this is something I need to look into deeper and depending upon the degree of functionality my users need.

Can I kinldy ask another question please: -  FM advised that I could purchase additional licences (£72 per year), or should I say outside users could which would allow them to install FM Pro 12 on their own PC and give them full functionality through IWP.  Is this correct?

Steve

No licenses are needed for users of IWP or CWP. You only need FM Client installed (and a license) if you do not use a browser to access the system.

If an outside user purchases a licence then, and installs FM client on one of their PC's... how do they connect to / access my system? and does it give them full functionality of my system?

Thank you for the link by the way.

Steve

If a user installs the FM Client, you would provide them with the IP address of the server, and they can use the Open Remote function to access the file. Of course, you would use FM Security to assign them appropriate edit/view privileges.

btw, FileMaker Pro Advanced has "developer" features that FileMaker Pro does not have. Only the developer needs FMPA.

This topic is 4015 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.