Replace rather than Append

This topic is 4003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I only found one post, but not very helpful.  I'm exporting my pdfs to the temporary folder.

Everything is great except when I export again.

Since I'm using the same NAME the append just adds to the existing .pdf within the temporary folder - Yikes!!!

I was hoping once the script was finished that was it, but after remembering where the Temp Folder is ... HOW can I REPLACE the pdf file I put there instead of append it.

All I can think of at this moment is either push the pdf into a container; since the pdf won't change that often.  Or, set a global fields to empty and each time the user runs that script they will create the same file pdf but with a .1, .2, .3 et cetera.

I was hoping for a better way.  I really like the Temporary Folder.  Is there a way to replace the existing .pdf file ??

Thank you.

Tom

You can copy and paste a script. 

Select the script to be copy Menu Bar >> Scripts >> Manage Script Tasks >> Print Icon, Then select the option in the print dialog box, "Open PDF in Preview" and then select all Copy and then Paste it to a Reply here.

Lee

Your script shows you always using  

[ Restore; Append; No dialog ]    

As Rick said: to start a fresh file; don't use append.

The following steps in the script can continue to use append.

Append has some other pitfalls too. In printing out pay slips for two different groups of employees I would save "Slips.pdf" to the Temp folder. Since summaries were involved, a script would find the correct slip with the correct date and append each slip to the original PDF. Fine, right? But when I ran the same routine on a second group in the same session the script would print out both sets. Of course, since I hadn't quit FM, the file "Slips.pdf" was still in the Temp folder so the second group was appended to the first. After I figured it out the solution was simple. Each iteration of the script would save the file as Slips& a number generated by the random function &pdf. I forget the exact syntax.

This topic is 4003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.