FileMaker 12.0.4 Export to Email Broken (?!)

This topic is 3969 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is anybody else aware that the export to email function is BROKEN under 12.0.4 and OS X 10.8.4?

I've been able to replicate this. In 12.0.1 under 10.8.4, for example, the script step works like a charm. 12.0.4 - no chance. The export happens (you can see it in temp files), but no email is generated. I don't have enough OS and FM versions for widespread testing though...

This kills an important part of our database functionality!

Does anyone have a solution??

See sample file...

There is no error message. It just does not successfully route and have your default email App (Apple Mail, for example) generate an email. The export location doesn't seem to play a role. I normally use the FileMaker's temp location (var/folders/yx/)

I had copied the very same sample file to a FM 12.0.1 with 10.8.4 and it worked...

Ohne Titel.fmp12.zip

Works for me (see screenshot)

The new mail message does get pushed to the background but it is there.

As an aside

FileMaker has a built-in function to generate a temp folder for the script.

Set a variable to use it and use that in your export script step

Set Variable[ $file = "filemac:" & get(temporarypath) & "myFile.ext" ]

That would take care of any permissions issues that you may have on your computer

I understand, thank you for the tip. However, it's not a question of permissions, since I can see the exported file in the finder. It's the "passing on" to the email program which does not work.

I've created three test files and was able to reproduce it with each and every one of them, given the configurations stated above.

Very strange - especially if no-one else is having this issue...

The fact that you can see the file in Finder doesn't mean that the mail program is allowed to touch it to add it to the email.  When you trap for errors right after the export script  step, does get(lasterror) show any particular error?

If not you may want to try breaking the script up in two distinct processes:

- one to create the file

- one to use the Send Mail script step and point to the attachment

That may give you some more control and more options for error trapping

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting the solution here, in case someone else experiences something similar. 

The problem was not the export. As stated previously, the export worked. What failed was the handshake between FileMaker and the Email client. Turns out, the problem was on a system level. The computers which failed had a third party email client installed. When this one was selected as the primary email client (can be specified in the preferences of Apple Mail), the it didn't work. This goes for Sparrows as well as Thunderbird. Once switched back to Apple Mail as default, it worked. On one of the machines however, the following advanced steps were necessary:

1. Quit Mail
2. Go to your User folder – Library – Preferences
    (in Mountain Lion, hold the ALT-key, go to Finder's "Go" Menu, choose Library, then Preferences)
3. Delete this file: com.apple.mail.plist.lockfile
4. Restart
5. Open Mail
6. Open 'Preferences – General
7. Maker sure 'Default email reader is set to (Apple) 'Mail'

This topic is 3969 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.