Edit record by more than on user

Guru Salem

This topic is 3903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, Im sure many peoples facing this problem.

we will get the alert message by editng the particulat record when someother user doing the edit with the same record on other layout.

Please tell me the possibility to modify the single record more than one user on multiple layout at the same time?  I hope it could be possible to stop other users and do the edit.   

Thanks in advance.

You can not.  nor should you want to in most cases.

if you can explain what you are trying to do a little better perhaps we can give you a work around, an example would be.

If you have 2 users who both need to add information to a record and not delete anything at all we can probably give you a work around. if one user needs to delete something and one needs to add, you will have issues. if they can each be editing information on separate fields and not the same field, their can also be a work around for that also.

any workarounds would require 3 tables however. 2 that are copies of the information  on table 3, so each user can edit on a separate table. your issues will then be combining the information back to table 3

Thanks for the reply

Actually the application hosted in server, 2 users accessing same layout same record. when 1st user modify the record the same time, 2nd user cant do the modification.

I can understand there is difficulty to do that. but I would like know, If there is any possiblity to control the user like send alert msg, send out user from particular record.

If so.. please share ur comments

It's a complicated issue to see who is on what record, really you probably need a script step to show the user in  a global storage field. , this script step would need to be everywhere.the only issues with this is if they do not use a script to locate a record you will have a problem. If you can lock them into scripts for viewing and opening records you can do it.

if I get a chance later today I will make a sample file and upload in the event anyone is interested in this technique.

afaik, there is no method to capture who has the record open (for edit), although FM knows, because it sends a message with that account name.

Interested to see your technique, No_access. Especially, since globals are user-session specific.

You are correct Filemaker has no way of. However, you can use a method similar to the attached file if you really need to. it requires the script be executed  from every script and as I said above you need to locate invoices with a script, this will not work if you use CTRL+F  to find an invoice. you could of course use it on each field as a script trigger

showusers.zip

This topic is 3903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.