Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Linking Two FM Databases Hosted On Same Server

This topic is 3860 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey Guys, 

This will probably be straight forward but I couldn't find the answer in my quick searches. 

I have a database already hosted on my server, and I need to include one of the tables, within it, in another database hosted on the same file.

I have tried to create the data source with local file path, but because the referenced database is in use, it gives me an error. I have tried using the local IP hosting address, but because I access the database remotely that won't work. I can obviously use the remote IP hosting address as the data source, but I just wanted to check if this was the correct way (didn't want to cause speed issues). The other way I wanted to check, was to close the databases on the server, and reference the linked file locally, then open the databases again? The database is in constant use at the moment so would have to schedule downtime to do this, which is why I haven't tried this yet.

If you could correct me in the right way to do this, I would be hugely grateful.

Thanks,
Dan 

If both files are hosted on the same server then the file reference that you add to the file that needs access to the other file is just:

file:TheTargetFile

That's a relative path notation that basically says: look in the same location as where I (the file) am.

This topic is 3860 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.