Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dynamic field size

This topic is 3848 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have text field. The text size entered is variable from record to another; it may fits in one line or few lines. Is there a way to set the field length automatically to show the entire content of the field in list view? THANKS

Is there a way to set the field length automatically to show the entire content of the field in list view? 

You might also consider using Preview mode. You would make the text fields the largest they might possibly be and set all objects to slide up.  See Inspector > Position tab > Sliding & disability and be sure to also check the box which says 'also reduce enclosing part.'

Then when you wish to view the full page with all text displayed, you can go to Preview mode.  Another option is to provide a button on the list row which opens a reading window.  

• Like 1

Thanks to all

No, field sizes are not dynamic in browse mode. But you could assign a tooltip to the field (the calc is simply "self" without quotes).

How can I assign this tooltip? Please clarify........ Thanks

Or, what just came up, you might consider a web viewer.  http://www.filemakermagazine.com/videos/web-viewer-notes

Cool beans, Matt P.

I have seen something quite similar in a recent thread here on the forums, implemented using only native Filemaker tools (no web viewer, SQL, JavaScript etc.). I don't recall the exact details but roughly, you'd be viewing a calculation field displaying a list of notes, and a script would be triggered on entering the field and identify the original note whose text was clicked. So you could then load that text into a global, (or, even better IMHO, open the original record in a pop-up window) for editing. Perhaps you've seen it too?

I have seen something quite similar in a recent thread here on the forums, implemented using only native Filemaker tools (no web viewer, SQL, JavaScript etc.). I don't recall the exact details but roughly, you'd be viewing a calculation field displaying a list of notes, and a script would be triggered on entering the field and identify the original note whose text was clicked. So you could then load that text into a global, (or, even better IMHO, open the original record in a pop-up window) for editing. Perhaps you've seen it too?

I can't find it, Michael.  I confess that I haven't had time to read all threads lately.  I really wanted to find the thread since, AFAIK, one cannot natively scroll a field ( whether containing a single note or multiple notes ) and also have trigger on the field to identify where clicked.

I realised two things 1) Dr. Hamed is using vs 11 so ExecuteSQL() is off the table and 2) since he wants expanded in list view, nothing will expand the body of a list view  except Preview (with reduce enclosing part) or as Barbara says, 'can't be done in browse mode'.   

So regardless, if wanting to read the entire field in browse mode, compromise will have to be made. Barbara's tooltips is great idea and so is Jeremy's suggestion if the amount of text is limited.  Or if a single field in parent table, the User can simply click into the field which will expand it for reading or attach a scroll bar or pop a new window.

Since Dr. Hamed has limited text in a single field, discussing method of displaying multiple notes probably won't be of help since scroll is required regardless.  And I do not wish to highjack this thread.  You have put a burr under my saddle, Michael, to test all native approaches (again) in solving the multiple-note issue on form view. I have provided a link to it here just in case it might help Dr. Hamed after all.

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/89878-expanding-multiple-notes/

Sometimes 'native-FM-but-slight-kludge' is worth it; sometimes not.  I cannot say which anyone should use.  But options are always beneficial.

This topic is 3848 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.