Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Updating a calculation

milky

This topic is 3808 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I created a text field that uses a calculated value and I would like a way to update all 1000 records in my database instead of going to the original field and typing the data in so the calculation works.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, if Daniele means what I think, it would be faster and easier to simply do it that way (as he suggests by changing in field definitions).

Go to field definitions, change it to a calculation instead of text.  Back up first.  Be sure it is NOT set to unstored.  Exit back to the layout then go back to definitions and change it back to text.  Behind the scenes, when changed to an indexed calculation, the data will change and plant in the records.

One of the problems with Replace Field Contents[] is that it is not safe in multi-user mode because if a record is currently locked by another User, it will not change the field.  It will produce an error if you think to trap for it but only after it finishes and it does not tell you which record was locked.  The other problem with RFC is that the entire record set must be downloaded from the server.  You change the single field.  Then the entire record set must be uploaded again; it is very resource intensive whereas changing in field definitions takes place only at the server and no *records are downloaded.

Also, when you change it to a calculation, be sure it is set to TEXT at the bottom of the calc dialog and not as default of number.

This topic is 3808 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.