Server Maintenance This Week. ×

creating forums

This topic is 8362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Okay. I'm interested in creating an online forums, very similar to FMForums. I am wondering if it is at all feasible to use FileMaker to do this. Specifically I am curious about issues such as registration and performance. Also, I am wondering if there is a packaged system already available for this sort of thing. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much,

Tim.

I'm probably going to get slated for mentioning Lasso again he he laugh.gif" border="0

but there is a bb product available that utilises Lasso (more dollar though on top of getting lasso!)

with bbs's security is king cos you kind of advertise yourself for ar***les! I've known a few dissapear after attacks (most of which used IIS oh dear here comes another slating he he)

laugh.gif" border="0

Timmy

Yeah, sure it's possible to make forums with FileMaker Pro. It's just an unbelievably huge amount of work! Seriously. Weeks and weeks of full-time work.

Getting a database with the messages on-line is easy. It's all of the admin stuff -- handling memberships and subscriptions, passwords, moderators, creating a system that allows easy adding and removal of messages, threads, and forums, etc. Huge!

I have created one in CDML only. It works fine, the only thing I haven't attacked yet is the password/user business.

The problem I am having is how to make sure that nobody can view the password/user-database? If I use CDML to get the information and compare the users entries, anybody who has a look at the source-code will see the name of the database and the name of the fields and therefor be able to view the contents of the database. Or am I wrong there?

Oh, this hasn't really got anything to do with your question, Timmy, so I will move on and make a new thread for this, alright?

Anyway, a Forum with Filemaker works. Although I have to say that ASP and Access is easier to handle.

quote:

Originally posted by AndreasBoehmer:

Anyway, a Forum with Filemaker works. Although I have to say that ASP and Access is easier to handle.

Are you serious? Maybe you are not at full speed with FileMaker?

We are winning all custom jobs from Access/ASP guys just on price.

And Access will choke on 50 2GB databases with million records.

amen to that anatoli!!! ASP is good if you like to learn loads of scripting languages only run Windoze boxes and don't have deadlines and budgets to worry about laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

The problem I am having is how to make sure that nobody can view the password/user-database? If I use CDML to get the information and compare the users entries, anybody who has a look at the source-code will see the name of the database and the name of the fields and therefor be able to view the contents of the database. Or am I wrong there?

Andreas if you use inline actions for this all the work is done on the server side before the format file is returned to user so no sensitive code for people to see!

laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by scratchmalogicalwax:

amen to that anatoli!!! ASP is good if you like to learn loads of scripting languages only run Windoze boxes and don't have deadlines and budgets to worry about
laugh.gif" border="0

Andreas if you use inline actions for this all the work is done on the server side before the format file is returned to user so no sensitive code for people to see!

laugh.gif" border="0

cool.gif" border="0

I think Andreas by now discovered Web Security Database. Still, by combining lot of techniques e.g. Inlines, frames, forced frames etc. people will have lot of problems to break in.

[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: Anatoli ]

This topic is 8362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.