Tabbed Panes

This topic is 8436 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

There are many different approaches to help your user navigate. One of the main points of navigation and user interface is to convey to the user that they are not jumping between different modules or files.

I have used buttons where each button is in a different state depending on what "module" you are in. IE Customers/Invoices etc.

Basically a Tabed interface is no different. I do recommend that you do not over do it with tabs. And do not use more than 2 rows of tabs. And Apple would have you believe that tabs should eminate from the center. I disagree, the tabs should start from the left and advace right as needed.

Hope that helps... I got to run I'll write more later...

Hello,

I have a program with 8 files and the user needs to interact regularly wtih at leats 6 of them. I gave an experienced programmer a tour(there are lots of well behaved button take the user from file to file) and his response was that it would be much to navigate with tabbed panes. I agree and have seen similar solutions that use them so I should too just to compete on equal ground.

Could someone give an overview of how to have the contents of other files appear on tabbed panes in one main file?

I picture using portals, generally>

Thanks,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Ocean is right, the best way is not to make a single file that really contains all the panes. Instead, go into one of the files, create your fiel folder lookign graphich with the tabs across the top. Sewlect all, cop and then go to each of the other files and past the graphic into a new layout. Then go through and write a script attachced to each tab that goes to the appropriate file, runs an exgternal script to go to the specific layout.

When a user clicks on the tabs, it will appear as if they are moving through multiple file folders, the fact that they are actually in different files is transparent.

You can get copies of tabs and such in some fo the free/shareware graphics downloads like "1000 buttons" or what ever its called.

If you can't find a fiel of buttons/graphics that contain what youare looking for, email me and I'll send you a file.

This topic is 8436 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.