Server Maintenance This Week. ×

filter value list by Division?

Charity

This topic is 3738 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just got our server and I thought this was supported to work and it does not.  I do not know if it is me or the server.

Privilege set for PARTS is " Division = Users::Division

I thought security removed things which were not allowed.  But the value list still shows parts where the division does not match these rights.

Do I mis understand ?

I do not think I worded this very well.  May I try again?

In Security, a user is in a privilege set to Parts table as limited and it must match on Division to the User's division.  This works in stopping records when I do a find.  * finds only the person's division records.

But if I create a value list based upon all values in the Parts table and the User opens it, it shows all values.  Is that making more sense?  I thought it should only show Parts where the division matched.  If I can very this is the problem or do I need to look at other things in the file or server?  Thank you for putting up with my sometimes-uncertainty.

A value list is a value list; an entity of its own that is not affected by user privileges.

What you need is to create a relationship between your user table and a TO of parts  Users::Division = Parts_VLTO::Division.  Then make your value list show only related values from Parts_VLTO .

EDIT:  Actually, you would need to set a global field UserDivision with a startup script, and then relate THAT to PartsVLTO::Division.

EDIT: See #5 below.  We live and learn.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Doug.  That sure throws a monkey into my file because it is not how I understood it at all.  If I say with security that they should not see a record in a table then they should not see it.  And a value is based upon values in the field.  So for all value lists to parts, I must filter again to remove critical information they are not authorised to see?

Just like if we find *, records not authorised are removed.  Just like if we view records which we are authorised but if a certain field is not authorised, it shows 'no access'.  But value lists drop the ball?

I believe you.  I can make conditional value lists now.  Well at least now you helped me pinpoint the problem.

It really goes against a basic understanding though.  Doesn't it?  If I say a value is not authorised to see, it should not show anywhere even data viewer.  This is how I think about it anyway.  Where else might I be surprised about this theory, any ideas appreciated.

• Like 1

A value list is a value list; an entity of its own that is not affected by user privileges.

I am sorry, but there's no gentle way to put this: the answer you have been given is grossly incorrect.

If the value list is defined to show values from a field, and users have limited access to records in the table in which that field is defined, then they will only see values from records that they do have access to when they use the value list.

My guess is that your restriction does not work the way you think it does; you can check this very easily by going to the relevant table (Parts?) and see which records are accessible to the user directly, not through the value list.

BANG!!  THAT DOES IT!  Sorry for the caps, I'm excited.  They are not there.  So something else is wrong.  Thank you so much Comment!

I will keep searching for what I have broken but it good to know my theory is sound once I understand what I broke!

That sounded like a double negative but I think you know what I meant.

I do not have the file but in the morning can I verify please then

It should filter out records other than Division = User::Divison EVEN IF it is already a conditional value list.

Can I assume that NOTHING would cause a value list to produce a value which the User is unauthorised to see unless I have something broken somewhere else.  I cannot imagine what else could break but so far I cannot find it so process of elimination is in effect on this end. ...

Does this apply to condition CONDITIONAL value list, Comment?  I think the answer would be yes, that privileges will take priority here always.  This is a conditional value list and it gives all values.  I have something else wrong then.

Thank you!!

I'm too wiped out to type.  I will review in the morning after class opening.

This topic is 3738 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.