Kiosk

Charity

This topic is 3742 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just read up on it.  Why can't I use kiosk so that I do not need to remove menus, hide status and all that stuff.  I plan to put my own buttons anyway.  But when I search I find little about it used this way.  We will be on windows but also on iPad.  And web direct probably.  With server.

Would not kiosk make a cleaner design?  There must be dangers or problems I do not see.

Of course I read it, Lee.  I suppose I should have said so.  I read up before I finally ask questions.  It tells how to create it.  It does not tell how in the real world people here are using it or whether they are.  I guess I am more interested in real-world usage.  It is spoken of very little.  

It reminds me of Snapshot link which, if so great, sure isn't talked about.  Either it isn't used or everyone uses it and it is so simple that it isn't talked about.  I suspect the former.  But that is why I ask.  Thank you for helping on it.

Oh.  How did I miss that?  The entire computer where we can't even hit a key to minimise so we can do other things?  Oh that is dumb.  No wonder it is not mentioned much.  I suppose it has its uses but not something I want.  Can I make a single file be kiosk sometimes but not other times?  Otherwise it is not what I wanted no.  The entire computer?  How can FM do that?  That would be insane.

Either it isn't used or everyone uses it and it is so simple that it isn't talked about.  I suspect the former.  But that is why I ask.  Thank you for helping on it.

You suspect right.  It has its uses when kiosk is truly needed but that is a very small niche market.

BTW, I've never used kiosk - never wanted to.  And that is surprising considering what a control-freak I am but that is just too much control and *I* would not use a program which took over my computer.  Period.  LOL.

Well, there are situations where it isn't "your" computer - for example: POS, production floor, sign in/out stations, exhibition floor and a few more I could think of (these forums certainly expose you to a lot of different applications you'd never come up with on your own).

I find Kiosk mode is very useful when building solutions for FileMaker Go - actually pretty essential to making the 'app' look and feel much more polished, like a native iOS app..... It allows for a very specifically designed user interface to be used..... I just wish it was also possible to script the visibility of the very top iOS status bar, though it can be done manually in the FileMaker Go app settings...

With such solutions, I usually also incorporate a startup script which checks which version of FileMaker the file is being used on, and if it's not FMGo, then it re-logs in as Admin so that it behaves like a regular FileMaker Pro file.....

This topic is 3742 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.